Chapter 67 - Running Out Of My Mind

Twisted Moon - Book 3 of the Black Moon series - Chapter 67: Running Out Of My Mind

(Camden's POV - Fri. 10 July 2016)

"How can you be so sure he didn't get rid of this necklace himself and just ran away?" the policewoman asks again, making me sigh in frustration. How many times will I have to tell the story again until they understand?

"For the hundredth time, I know he didn't!" I reply as calmly as I can. I certainly don't want a repeat of Monday. "If he had decided to run away, he would have taken some clothes! He would have taken the most precious things he has! He would have taken his little dog! And I'm sure he would have left a letter! But none of that has happened and all I am asking is that you look more seriously into his dissapearance! It's been four days now and for all I know, it might already be too late!"

Like the lawyer advised, I returned to the station on Tuesday morning and reported Noah's disappearance, as calmly as I could. This is the third time I visit them this week. I have been there every day to hassle them and I keep getting the same answers. You have already reported Mr. Mitchell missing. Yes, we are investigating. No, we haven't found anything suspicious. It seems like he left on his own accord. Always the same bullshit!

"Mr. Hall, this Noah Mitchell is barely eighteen and still a teenager. This happens more often than you'd think. They decide to enjoy a bit of fun out of home, they go party with some friends in another state and they come back after a few days," she unsurprisingly replies. Her tone is very soft but I am really losing patience.

"I know all of Noah's friends and they wouldn't d..."

"Mr. Hall, the problem is that there is no evidence Mr. Mitchell was kidnapped as you say and you haven't received any ransom request. We'll try our best to find him..."

"Fine, forget it! I'll manage on my own," I interrupt her and get up from my chair.

Before I get unable to control my anger and frustration again, I simply head out of the station and back to my car. Once inside, I slam my hands on the steering wheel and recline against the back of the seat, despair filling me again. I don't think that the Police investigating would really help or be more useful than Tony and the Private detective, but I am hoping for different resources and new leads. I know Tony is doing his best and he knows so many people who can help him, but I thought that having more people working on Noah's disappearance would always be a plus.

I haven't really slept since Monday morning. I actually haven't been upstairs to avoid too vivid memories of Noah. I sometimes doze off on the couch but it is always brief and light. My mind seems to refuse to let go of my consciousness and forbids me to fall into unconsciousness, probably too scared of what oblivion may lead to. The problem is not so much the guilt of finding sleep when I don't know what is going on with Noah, but more what I am going to see in my dreams if I let that side of my brain take over.

The result is that I am exhausted and on my way back home, I miss a stop sign and almost get crashed by a truck. Taking a deep breath, I will my heart to stop racing in my chest and eventually continue at a very low speed on Hatch Lane until I reach the house. As I park in front of my garage, I notice that Maria is in her garden and when I pull out of the car, she meets me at the front of the house.

"Nothing new?" she asks with a small trembling voice and her eyes full of tears. I shake my head and gently pull her into a hug.

"Stop beating yourself up, Maria. You're absolutely not responsible!" I whisper as I brush her back.

"If only I had kept looking at him, maybe I would have seen wh..." she begins the same tune again but I lean back up and rest my hands over her shoulders.