Chapter 72 - Let The Devil Out

Twisted Moon - Book 3 of the Black Moon series - Chapter 72: Let The Devil Out

(Camden's POV - Sat. 18 July 2015)

As I park at the back of the Black Diamond and stop the car, I recline into the driver's seat, close my eyes and take a moment to relax. This is probably not the best of ideas to come here tonight, but I keep rehearsing all the reasons that pushed me to drive to the club.

One is that I am getting nuts on my own at home. After the guys' visit last Sunday, I decided it was time to grab myself together and react. Not move on, but at least react. It is not because I feel like life has stopped in Noah's absence that I can allow myself to fall into a vegetative state and even if there is not much I can do to find him, I still need to pull through and show that I can be stronger than that.

I didn't push myself too strong this week, though. I accepted a few appointments, just a few hours in the morning until my usual break at 2pm, then spent my afternoons doing paperwork and packing up some boxes of files and books for the move. It is incredible the number of things you can gather in only a few years of professional experience and I filled quite a few trash bags with stuff I don't need anymore.

So, in the end, I managed to keep my days busy enough, but being home alone in the late afternoon, I swear that my evenings have seemed awfully endless; and I am not mentioning the nights. Those have been the hardest. As much as I could focus on something else during the days, once I was on my own, Jess wasn't enough to keep me away from my darkest thoughts and I have almost become claustrophobic inside the house. The adorable Dumbie is a great comfort but... that's not like having Noah, right? Poor puppy truly misses his young master, though.

Another reason for going to the club tonight is Aaron. My friend has been hassling me to visit him throughout the entire week, but I couldn't resolve myself to go there without Noah. I feel like this place will never hold much interest to me without him. I also fear memories to kick in and hurt me more than I already ache in his absence. Aaron and I could have met somewhere else but I took too much time making the decision to go or not, and he needs to be there tonight.

The last reason is that I want to see some things for myself. Unfortunately, the investigations haven't progressed much this week and there are things I want to verify on my own. I do trust Tony, his guys and the private detective to do a great job and their best to find Noah, but I have gotten this rather strong impression that there has to be a link with the club. I feel like we are missing something important... something related to the club.

Tony agrees but he is also persuaded that the affair involves Noah's past so he is digging into his parents' murder. That wouldn't be surprising but I'm pretty sure someone from the Black Diamond has to do with Noah's disappearance; and maybe not only. The only person I contacted on my own will this week is Gary. Not that I wanted to rub salt into his wound, but after speaking with him for two long hours on the phone on Tuesday evening, I have had the conviction that Noah's abduction could be linked to Jeremy's disappearance. I have no rational explanation for that. It is merely an impression I have gotten and there are feelings that you just can't explain.

With that in mind, I have been beating myself up with even darker thoughts of what could be happening to Noah. Jeremy disappeared over a year ago and I would rather not try to imagine what he might have gone through all this time. Gary is a force of nature and has managed to survive in his boy's absence. He has mostly drowned himself into work but he most extraordinarily still has hope to get him back at some point. That's the best I can wish for him. Noah has been missing for barely two weeks – two weeks of hell for me – so I can only imagine how Gary feels after such a long time.