Chapter 3: Missing Link

"Is this gonna happen every time I fall asleep?" Y/n sighed as they looked around the familiar pink landscape

"How was your first time using your new strength?" Rose Quartz asked softly as she approached

"Kind of frustrating, actually," Y/n admitted, "Is everything going to slow down like that every time I need to react?"

"You'll learn to control it in time, do not worry," Rose Quartz told as she reached out her hand and lightly brushed up and down Y/n's right arm, "How was your first day in Beach City?"

"Interesting, to say the least... I think I met your friends," Y/n told

"Yes, you did. You certainly left an impression with them," Rose Quartz giggled, "The stronger bonds you build with them, the more you'll be able to assist them on their missions to protect Earth and all the humans on it,"

"I don't get it," Y/n sighed, "Why do you guys protect humans? We can't even protect ourselves from... ourselves! There's gonna be nothing left to protect soon,"

"My little Y/n, do you regret your previous decision?" Rose Quartz asked

"What decision?" Y/n frowned, their question was soon answered as a brief clip of the ill-fated night played. The woman screaming for help, the man holding her against the wall... the police dragging Y/n away as the man grinned sinisterly, "I... I don't know,"

"Do you think your decision was a mistake?" Rose Quartz phrased differently

"Maybe it was," Y/n sighed as they looked around, "...No, No, it wasn't... I did what was right, that's all the matters,"

"Perfect," Rose Quartz held her hands together and placed them near her chest, "That was the perfect answer. And now you know why the Crystal Gems fight for humans and the Earth. It's because it is the right thing to do,"

"That's what Pearl said..." Y/n recalled

"Oh, my Pearl," Rose Quartz sighed, "She took my words to heart... and so should you. They need your help, My little Y/n."

"How am I supposed to convince them?" Y/n frowned, "They seem less than happy with Human fighting,"

"Well, Steven and yourself will find a way. I'm sure of it. You are both very bright," Rose Quartz told, "Try to find what you have in common with the Crystal Gems, it's more obvious than you think,"

-----------

"Finally, I thought you weren't gonna wake up," Mr. Fryman said as Y/n made their way down the stairs, "It's almost 12:30,"

"Oh, my bad," Y/n scratched their head

"You found a job yet?" Mr. Fryman asked

"Not yet, sir," Y/n told

"Well, if you want a job, you could get one here," Mr. Fryman told, "I can't pay you since I've already got the kids' salaries I have to worry about, but I won't ask you to work for free. I'll... teach you how to cook the best batch of french fries you've ever had in your life!"

"Sounds like a good deal," Y/n laughed, "I'll take it,"

"Smart kid," Mr. Fryman laughed, "Come and find me whenever you wanna start,"

"Can do, sir," Y/n nodded as they made their way out of the shop. Y/n decided to stop by Steven's house and see if he was around. As they walked towards the beach, Y/n stopped in front of The Big Donut, remembering how Steven talked highly of it. Y/n decided to walk in and pick something up for Steven.