Chapter 5: Late Nights

"Oh, it's getting late," Y/n commented as they looked at their phone, "I should get going,"

"Aww, really?" Steven pouted, "Not even five more minutes?"

"Steven, it's about time for you to go to sleep too," Pearl said, "Humans need at least 7 hours of sleep a night to remain functional,"

"Fine," Steven said, "Wait! Y/n, can I get your phone number? Just in case I need to call you or something?" Steven asked as he handed Y/n his phone

"Sure," Y/n said as they typed in their phone number, "There you go,"

"Thanks!" Steven smiled, "Night, Y/n,"

"Night, Steven," Y/n smiled, "Thank you guys for having me... again,"

"Oh, our pleasure," Pearl assured, "And... about earlier today... Joining the Crystal Gems, I think you have the potential to join. You just need training before I can feel comfortable with you accompanying us on missions,"

"That's understandable," Y/n nodded, "I wouldn't feel comfortable either,"

"Ah, but... Your mother, you said she wouldn't approve of you joining," Pearl frowned

"I can talk some sense into her," Y/n played along with their lie from earlier

"Oh, alright," Pearl folded her hands together, "Feel free to stop by any time and we can start training,"

"I'll definitely come by then," Y/n smiled, "Thank you,"

"Of course. Have a safe walk back," Pearl said as she held open the door for Y/n

"Can do," Y/n said as they walked out of the house and began the trek across the beach. It was oddly cool outside, considering early today it was blazing out, "Must be the ocean breeze," Y/n mumbled as they continued to the fry shop and came inside

"Y/n, you're back an hour early," Mr. Fryman said

"Yeah, I figured I'd just come back," Y/n shrugged

"Well, I could use some help around the shop, feel like helping out?" Mr. Fryman asked, "I'll give you your first fry lesson,"

"Sure," Y/n nodded

"That's what I like to hear! Now go put on an apron and wash your hands," Mr. Fryman instructed as he got the fryer ready for his lesson. After Y/n got themself kitchen ready, they approached Mr. Fryman and nodded, "Alright, let's start with the fryer, now if you look here you'll see..." Mr. Fryman began rambling on about how the fryer works, the proper temperature it should be at, the oil and grease that is in it and when to clean it out. He explained how to peel the potatoes in one peel, how to clean them, and the different types. He then went on the proper way of cutting the potatoes, seasoning them, and then finally frying them for the appropriate time, "Think you got all that?"

"I believe so," Y/n said as they scribbled down notes on an order pad

"You're taking notes?" Mr. Fryman chuckled a bit, "At least you're paying attention. Now, how about you make an order and we'll see how you do. Use whatever kind of potato you want,"

"Yes, sir," Y/n said as they immediately got to work. Prepping the potato, cutting it up, seasoning it, frying it, and seasoning it once again and putting them in the proper container, "Done!"

"Alright, let's see how you did," Mr. Fryman said as he grabbed a few fries and ate them, "Ah, you used the Lexington, Kentucky potatoes. Good choice. This is pretty good for your first time, you clearly followed my instructions... But they're slightly under seasoned, and weren't left in the fryer long enough to give it that signature Fryman crunch. But like I said, they're pretty good. A bit more practice and training and you'll go far,"