c h a p t e r f o r t y t h r e e

-

"Even if you know what's coming, you're never prepared for how it'll feel."

-

"So," Draco said, dropping the book onto the table, "I found the book that you saw in your dream."

Hermione raised her eyebrow and brought it towards her. "You went to the manor?" she asked.

He nodded and she sighed but didn't bother making any further comments. She opened the book to the pages Draco told her about and quietly read them.

"All i have to do is not kill anyone and i'll be fine." he smiled. Hermione glanced up, "How well did you read these pages?"

Draco frowned and shrugged. "Well enough."
"It says here that it's likely you'll have the curse if you mother was indeed a werewolf." she said, pointing to the page.

"Okay, and?"
"There's a chance that you weren't born with the curse in the first place, Draco."
"Oh. Well i guess there's only one way to find out."
"No Draco, you're not going to kill anyone to find out."

He rolled his eyes jokingly. "I'm going to go talk to my parents instead." he sighed. Hermione sent him a reassuring smile and nodded, "I'll come with you."

"I'll be fine, really." said Draco. The girl hesitated but let him go nevertheless.

-

"I was born with the curse."

Lucius' head shot up from his newspaper. "Who told you such a thing?" he questioned, standing up from his chair.

Draco smirked at his reaction. Hermione was right.

"No one, but your reaction just told me that it is in fact very true." Draco laughed. Lucius glared at his son and walked around to the front of his desk, only a metre away from Draco.

"That's bullshit."
"No, but the whole 'i killed my soulmate' lie is."

Lucius gripped his wand and took in a deep breath. "Have you triggered the curse?" he asked, taking a step forward.

Draco eyed his father and raised an eyebrow, taking a step back. "No," he drawled, "there might be a chance that i wasn't born with it at all."

The man thought about it for a few moments before sneering at him, "What makes you so sure?"
"There was a book in the library about werewolves. It said that it's likely i would be born with the curse and there's an unlikely chance that i wasn't but it's a chance nevertheless."

"You want to find out whether it's true or not, don't you?" he sighed, walking back around the desk to sit in his chair.
"All i have to do is kill somebody." Draco nodded. Lucius let out a groan and shook his head, "No. You're not going to risk it."

"Why not?"
"Because i'm not going to have a bloody werewolf as my son."
"You fell in love with a 'bloody werewolf' so i really don't see the problem!"

Draco paused and it hit him.

His mother wasn't really dead. He could find her and ask for her advice.

"Where is my mother?" Draco asked, a smirk tugging at the corner of his lips.
Lucius scowled and shook his head, "That's none of your concern."
"Oh, but it's all of my concern."