c h a p t e r f o r t y f o u r

-

"There's nowhere to run from the fire she breathes."

-

present day, the following afternoon

-

Draco looked around the area. It was a small suburban town by the looks of it.
"What did you say this was place was called?" he asked, looking at Hermione.
"Perth." she replied without looking up.

Hermione took his hand and they walked down the street which was full of dozens of detached houses, all of which had neatly trimmed lawns and flower beds.

Draco glanced down at Hermione who was walking with a highly energetic spring in her step. "Are you okay?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. Hermione gripped tighter onto his hand and nodded, not bothering to give him a proper reply.

They walked for a total of about five minutes until they reached house number twenty seven. It looked almost identical to the other houses but Draco chose not to comment on it.

"This is it." she said, dropping his hand, "Now what?"

He looked up at the house and shrugged. "I don't know. I thought my mother might show up and tell m-"
"What are you doing here?"

The two turned around to be faced with what looked to be a middle aged woman. She had dark hair twisted into a bun but something undeniably reminded Hermione of Draco.

"Mother?" he whispered. The woman's features went from confusion to understanding, and then somewhat to disappointment. "I asked you what you were doing here, Draco." she said, crossing her arms.

Draco cleared his throat and ran one of his hands through his hair, "I came to see you. I need to talk to you about the curse."

The woman glared at him but then sighed, "Alright, yes sure. I'm sorry but you came earlier than i expected you to.  I didn't think Lucius would grow the balls to tell you for atleast another decade. My house is number twenty five. Please, follow me."

-

"Tea?" she asked, gesturing towards the tea pot. Draco shook his head, "No thanks, I prefer cof-"
"Coffee? Yeah, you got that from me."

The woman poured Hermione a cup of tea and sat down opposite them when she put the coffee to boil.

"This was such a long shot. I can't believe i actually found you." Draco chuckled. Hermione smiled, holding his hand under the table.

"I know you didn't come here to bond. What is it that you need?" she asked. Draco's smile faded into a scowl.

"I need to know whether i was born with the curse or not." he said. His mother smirked and let out a small laugh. "You don't know yet?"
"No."
"Well, have you killed anyone?"
"Not that i remember."

Hermione's body went stiff as she realised. "You have to kill somebody to trigger the curse?" she asked, turning to face Draco. He raised his eyebrow and nodded slowly, "Yeah... you knew that already, Hermione."

"Oh no," she muttered, "oh no no no." The woman furrowed her eyebrows and glanced at Draco. "What's wrong with her?" she questioned.