c h a p t e r f o r t y s e v e n

-

"You deserve the love you keep trying to give to everyone else."

-

twenty three years later

-

"Dad... I need to talk to you." he said, walking into Draco's study.

Draco looked up from his desk and raised and eyebrow, "What is it, Scorpius?"

Scorpius rubbed the back of his neck and sighed. "Well you know how i turned sixteen recently..." he began. Draco nodded at him to continue.

"Well, i've noticed some weird symptoms."
"Symptoms for what?"
"For that bruised souls theory you told me about."

Draco stared at his son before his confused scowl turned into a smirk.
"I knew you and Albus would be soulmates." he said, carrying on with his work as if nothing had happened.

"Wha- How do you know it's Albus?" Scorpius asked, a hint of panic evident in his voice.
"Oh come on, son. I'm not an idiot."

Draco picked up the telephone at the side of his desk as Scorpius' eyes cautiously followed him. He dialed a number and waited for a few moments, letting out a laugh when the other end picked up.

"Guess who won the bet, Potter?"
There was some indistinct chattering from the other line as Draco let out another laugh. "Scor, come here. Bloody Potter doesn't believe me."

He handed his son the phone who cautiously brought it up to his ear.
"Uh, hi Mr Potter... What? Yes, i think so but... No, no no he doesn't know and i'd appreciate it if you didn't tell h- yes... sure i'll wait."

Scorpius looked up at his father and glared at him, mouthing 'what do i do?'. Before Draco had a chance to reply with something witty, Scorpius started speaking again.

"Albus...? No i never mentioned anything about soulmates. Yes, i think i'd know if i d- well... yeah, of course it's possible. No no no... don't get the wrong idea... Obviously i'd love for you t- alright, fine... Bye, i miss you too."

He handed the telephone back to Draco who was simply smirking even more than before.

"You're dating Albus Potter?"

Scorpius sneered and shook his head, a slight glint of disgust reflecting off of his eyes.

"No, that's absurd."
"You said 'I miss you too', you both sound like boyfriends."
"Boyfriends?" Scorpius repeated, "I'm not his boyfriend, nor do i want to be his boyfriend."

Draco sat back in his seat, his eyes full of amusement. He raised his eyebrow and smirked lightly, "Well? What do you want then?"

Scorpius sighed and pulled out the chair opposite his father, sitting down and propping his chin on his elbow.

"I don't know, alright? I just want to be with him all the time, hold his hand and skip lessons to cuddle in our dorms together. I want to hear about his day and tell him about mine and I know it might just be the bond that's making me feel like this but i just-" he paused, staring at the oak table top, "I don't want to be his stupid 'boyfriend'"

"Whilst the part about skipping lessons is unacceptable, i think you'd be thrilled to know that you literally just described a boyfriend role in a relationship, and a pretty clingy one at that." said a voice from the doorway.

Scorpius turned around, panic rising up inside of him again.
"Mum?" he asked, sounding rather startled, "How much of that did you hear?"

Hermione laughed and walked up to the the front of room to stand next to Draco.