c h a p t e r f o r t y s i x

-

"I just want you to be happy, even if i'm not the reason why."

-

present day, one week later

-

"You know, you'll need to do this sooner or later." she said, sipping her tea.

"I choose later." he replied, his voice laced with sarcasm.

Hermione rolled her eyes playfully and placed the mug on the table. "I think Lucius would like to know that his son isn't a werewolf after all." she said calmly.

"Would you go to the manner with me?" asked Draco.
"Of course, if that's what you want."
"Well, alright. Let's just get this over and done with."

-

"What do you want, Draco?" questioned Lucius. He didn't sound angry or even demanding; he just looked tired. His eyes were dark and his cheeks were sunken, he looked as if he hadn't slept properly for days.

"I just thought you should know that your only son isn't actually a disappointment."
"You don't have the curse?"
"No. By the way, Martha says hi."

Lucius remained quiet and didn't say anything. Draco nodded in understanding and turned around ready to leave when suddenly, Lucius grabbed his arm.

"Draco, wait." he muttered. Draco turned around to face him and raised an eyebrow. "What? Do you want to tell me that i'm still a disappointment?" he asked, crossing his arms.

"No," Lucius sighed, "I'm sorry, Draco. You wouldn't be a disappointment even if you were born with the curse."
"I wouldn't?"
"No. We would've worked it out. I'm sorry for all the lying about your m-," he paused and cleared his throat, "about Martha. I should've told you sooner."

Draco raised his eyebrow in doubt and pulled his arm away. "You expect me to believe that?" he scoffed. Lucius shrugged, "Believe what you want, son. I've come to terms with my mistakes. One of which was forcing you into the dark arts."

"All i ever wanted to do was to protect you and Mother." Draco said quietly. His father nodded and smiled lightly, "I know, son."

The boy gave his father a small smile before turning around to leave again. He started walking towards the door when suddenly the words 'Draco, wait' left Lucius' mouth.

"There's something else you should know."

Draco raised his eyebrow and nodded for him to continue. "Me and your mother are going back to our French manor." he said.

"So what? This whole apology thing is supposed to be some sort of closure?"
"Yes, i suppose so."

Lucius gave him a smile and nodded, signalling that Draco could leave.
So he did.

He closed the door to his father's study and turned around, only to be attacked by a bush of hair. "Merlin, Granger." he muttered, smiling lightly as he wrapped his arms around her.

"How was it? What did he say? Are you okay?" she asked, bombarding him with a ton of questions. Draco pulled away and grinned, placing a kiss on her forehead.

"I'm fine. He apologised and said that he was going back to our family's French manor with my Mother."
"Martha or-"
"Narcissa. Martha may be my biological mother but she wasn't the one who raised me to be such a loveable brat."

Hermione smiled and nodded, pulling his body back towards herself. "You really are a lovable brat." she laughed.
"Don't you know it."

-