Chapter 20

(Violet)

"Here's your change, sir." I handed the kind old man his quarters, and I sigh. I watch him walk out the door, and then I go to the back of the store and grab my bag.

I almost walked out, but I met Janice. "Oh, hey, my shift is over at 7, and it's 6:50 so, I'm gone to see my baby boy." I explained, and she laughed.

Janice was such a nice girl, we've actually become best friends over the time I've worked at this drug store down the street.

She was only a year younger than me. "Aw, Shawn?" We both laughed at her comment. I faked a laugh, actually. "Oh, I wish." I lied. She didn't know we weren't on great terms.

I've worked here for at least 2 weeks, and she already knows a lot about me. "Tell Eli I said hi! Bye love you boo!" She smiles and hugs me. Ah, I love having friends. "Love you." Then I walked to my car.

The same old car I've had for what seems like forever. I drove to the same old house, and parked my car in the driveway behind Aaliyah's.

I didn't see Shawn's jeep, but I ignored it. He's probably getting drunk with his friends. It's one of his best "talents".

I opened the door, to find my son, and Aaliyah. She usually babysat him when Shawn couldn't. Shawn still sings, but he hasn't went on tour yet. 😉😉

"Hi, you look cute." I complimented Aaliyah and she smiles. She had her hair curled, and had on a pretty dress. Then it clicked.

"Oh no, please don't tell me you had plans." I said, and she laughed. "I do, but in an hour, so you're good." She spoke, and I felt relieved. I didn't want to force her to watch Eli.

"Thank you so so much, I'll pay you tomorrow." I reassured her. She nodded. "Spill it, now." Aaliyah said, sternly. She may be a 16 year old, but she can notice when I feel down, or if something's not right.

"We're fighting again." I whispered, my voice cracking. "Shawn cheated, I left and stayed at one of our old friends' house, we grew a close bond, but I never cheated, Shawn found us, 2 weeks later, and here we are." I gave her the basics, because I'm sure she didn't wanna be here all night.

"He doesn't even try, aaliyah." Tears fell from my eyes, and I leaned onto her shoulder. She put her head on mine, and hugged me.

"I'll talk to him." She spoke. I became scared. "No, please, don't." I begged her. "Violet, I know Shawn just needs a little pep talk from our dad, it'll work. I promise." She hugged me tighter. I dried my eyes.

We were suddenly scared, by the door opening, and Shawn walking in. His face was emotionless. My heart just falls each time I see him like this.

He stared at me, and there wasn't a sign of sympathy on his face. He knew I was crying. Probably because I had been crying every night while sleeping in the guest room next to our room. The walls are thin, and I don't sob quietly.

He goes upstairs, and I wipe my eyes. "Thank you, for lending me your shoulder to cry on. It means the world to me." I pulled her in for another hug, and she hugged back.

"Anytime. You really needed it. I'll talk to my dad, and things will be okay. It's all coming up!" She tried her best to be positive. This is why I love Aaliyah, she always has a happy spirit. No matter what.

She waved, and walked out to her car, and drove home. I sighed heavily, and put Eli to bed. I kissed his forehead, and he started to cry.

"Honey? What's wrong?" I asked. He continued to sob. "You and d-daddy don't love each other a-anymore." He wept, and wiped at his eyes. At this point, I don't even think I still have a heart.

"We do baby, daddy is just tired." I tried my absolute best to not break down, right here in front of him.

"Promise?" I couldn't promise him something that was a lie. "You're lying, mommy! I knew it!" Wow, what a smart little boy. I picked him up, and hugged his little body, and cried with him. If Shawn won't love me, Elliot will, and if this is all, it sure is enough.