Resting

After that, we decided to rest for a bit, to calm down after... all that happened.

I'm not sure why I was so shaken by that. I knew from playing the Little Nightmares game myself that this would probably happen... but to see it happen up close... that's something else entirely.

Me and Six sat against the large barrel at the end of the tiny hallway, leaning our heads against each other while Lucecito decided to sleep with his body hidden under his cone hat, looking like a cone on the floor. We rested in silence, none of us making a sound. Well, not forever.

"Uh... Sal?" I heard Six's shy voice. I opened my eyes and looked over to see her looking at me curiously.

"Huh? What is it, Six?" I asked tentatively. Six looked nervous (can't exactly blame her) before she continued.

"Well, uh... after we're done resting... what next?" She asked me quietly.

"After we're done resting...? Well, we're going to take... HER on, aren't we?" I reminded her, careful not to use her given name. It was the only thing I could think of, mainly because it was the only way Six got out in the original game. However, she averted her gaze.

"Oh... okay..." Six said somberly, and I realized I probably should've worded it differently.

"Hey, what's wrong? We came this far, haven't we? Plus, we kinda promised the Janitor and the Chefs we'd do this in exchange for letting us go. Remember?" I recalled.

"Of course I remember!" Six said quietly, making a cute pouty face before turning serious again. "I just... I don't know how to face her again. No, I mean, I DO know how to defeat her, I mean that I don't know if I can actually do it..." Six elaborated. I sighed, though not in an annoyed way, and faced her.

"What do you mean?" I asked quietly. She pursed her lip.

"S-She... isn't anything like we've ever encountered, Sal. T-The Janitor, the Chefs, the Guests... they were all... normal in some way. But SHE... there's nothing normal about her.." Six explained.

... Yeah, I kinda figured...

"What's to worry about? She's just some old hag, isn't she?" I asked, faking ignorance. Of course I knew what she was capable of, everyone who played the game did! However, Six looked down.

"W-Well... she is, but... Sal, do you know what souls are?" Six asked.

... souls?

"Souls? You mean, like... our spirits that possess our body and are who we are on the inside?" I replied uneasily. Did the Lady's powers have something to do with souls?

"Yeah... well, you see... s-she... eats people's souls." Six finally blurted out.

... What.

"S-She... eats souls?" I asked uneasily, my eyes widening. Six nodded.

"Y-Yeah... I-I know how weird it sounds, but it's true... she has the power to consume souls, and add it to her own life to live even longer. No one knows how old she really is... not even me, since she never told me..." Six explained.

... She EATS people's souls!?

"H-How!? How is that possible!?" I almost yelled in astonishment. I mean, it would explain most of the things about her, but...

"I honestly don't know, Sal...", Six admitted, tucking her head into her hood like a turtle, "She never once told me. I once overheard her talking about how she got it from her mother, and how her mother's mother got it from her mother, and so on, like a family heirloom, but... she never explained it to me when I lived with her. She told me that the person who controls the Maw is always called the Lady, and whenever the current Lady has a daughter that grows up, that duaghter would inherit those powers and ownership of the Maw from her mother. She said she would tell me more when I grew up, but... you know..." Six trailed off. I sat next to her in complete amazement.