Partners In Suffering

It was the same for the two of them every night; they would each make their way from their homes and to 'their place'. He rode his bike all the way from the other side of town while she drove her bronze colored beetle (a present her father gave her the day he left) through the empty streets of Beacon Hills. They always met by the river. It was quiet and out of the way and no one was ever around to notice them, unlike the look out point (their original place to meet). Y/N always loved the river, the sound of the water splashing against the rocks soothed her and Isaac didn't care where he was as long as he wasn't at home.

When she pulled up Y/N was surprised to find Isaac already sitting on the rocks, socks and shoes off with his feet dangling in the water. Y/N walked over and sat down next to him, pulling off her own shoes in the process.

"Tell me something I don't know," She said to him while laying her head on his shoulder. This was their way of saying they had had a bad night, most visits started off with this phrase.

"Peas are my least favorite vegetable. Tell me something I don't know."

"My favorite red lipstick is the Ultimate Lipstick from Mac in the shade Dangerously Chic. It cost twenty-three dollars and I only wear it on special occasions, dances, first dates, that sort of thing. It's my favorite thing that I've ever bought myself."

"What happened with it?"

"No, you first. What happened with the peas?"

"We were supposed to have peas with dinner tonight; and we would have except I dropped the pot full of peas all over the floor. It made such a mess and Dad made me clean them all up then he dumped them back on the floor for me to pick up again. Dinner was cold by the time we got around to eating it and he said I was going to have to go down to the basement. Thankfully Ms. Andrews called and kept him on the phone for two hours and by the time he got off I had cleaned up dinner and the whole kitchen and he couldn't remember what had happened before the call and so he just went to bed. Now what happened with the lipstick?"

"I never wear this lipstick, I wear a lot of red lipstick but this one is my favorite and I keep it in a special place so nothing will happen to it. Apparently I didn't hide it very well. When I got home from school I went straight up to my room like I always do but when I got upstairs my door was open and my light was on, I never leave my light on and my door is always locked so Mom doesn't get into things she isn't supposed to, like the medicines and the knives and the lighters, so I knew she had been in there, I don't know how she got a key for that room but she got in there. When I walked in, I saw lipstick smeared across my vanity mirror and among the smears was the word 'Whore' on the vanity was the tube of Dangerously Chic laying open and completely ruined. I looked around the room to see what else she had gotten into and one of the kitchen knives was missing. I ran downstairs to check on her and she was cutting up carrots with the knife. I got upset asked why she would take it when she knows she can't have it and she said I couldn't keep things from her, especially not that I was a whore. She said that the red lipstick had been a dead give away but she took care of it for me and I wouldn't need to worry about it again. That only made me more upset and I tried to take the knife from her and so she went about her usual bit 'you are a terrible child','what did I ever do to deserve a child as bad as you','why do you hate me so much'. She then proceeded to tell me that I was not to move from the kitchen table for the rest of the night and she would sit up all night to watch me if she had to."

"How did you get out of the house then?"

"The same way I do ever night, slipped her pills in her mashed potatoes and when she got sleepy tucked her into bed and left. She is much nicer when I'm putting her to bed. She tells me she loves me and that I'm the most perfect child she could have ever hoped for. Too bad she doesn't take her medication like she is supposed to." Isaac warped an arm around Y/N and pulled her close.

"Have you thought about admitting her to Eichen House?"

"Have you thought about reporting your Dad? No, I can't put her in there. I love her ad I would rather suffer than do that to her.

"I guess you and I are just partners in suffering."

"Well that may be true but I don't feel like I'm suffering when we're together." Y/N smiled at Isaac, then stood up from the rock and held her hand out to him. "Come on, let me drive you home." Isaac stood and picked his shoes up from the ground."

"Na, my house is totally out of your way and I actually have to get to work soon, which is even further out of your way. Besides where would we put my bike, it won't exactly fit in your trunk."

"The graveyard is not that far out of my way if I take the back roads and you can put it in the backseat, I'll put the top down and there will be more than enough room. And if I get you there in the next 20 minutes your dad won't even notice you were gone."

"Fine. But only because I don't feel like I'm suffering when I'm with you." Isaac put an arm around Y/N as they made their way towards her car and back to their separate lives to deal with their sufferings until they would be together again .