Meet My Grandparents

Y/N and Isaac sat in the car outside her grandparents home, they had always been more parents to her than her own parents had been and the Christmas holidays were her grandmother's favorite. So they traveled to her family home and were now just sitting outside in the car waiting quietly. Isaac was nervous, far more nervous than he had been to meet her parents. Her parents were shit, he was used to shit parents and he knew it didn't matter if they liked him or not, but her grandparents, her grandfather, that was a different story.

"Are you ready?"

Isaac sighed and then nodded. "Yeah, let's go."

They opened their doors and made their way up the green porch steps. Y/N gripped his hand tightly before opening up the dark stained door, she thought of how they must have stained it since the last time she was home. Together they walked into the warmly lite house , the living room to their left and the dining room and kitchen to their right. Right at the head of the table was her grandfather.

"What are you doin' here?"

"I've come to rob the place, what do you think?"

"Welcome home kid."

"Good to be home Papa." Y/N hugged her grandfather then pulled away, stating to remove her coat and boots. "Where's grandma?"

"In her office. You going to introduce me to your friend or are you going let him stand there all night?"

"Papa, this is my boyfriend Isaac, Isaac this is my Papa, Bill. There now you know each other. Take off your shit and pop a squat, anychair but the one in front of the window. Oh and keep your hands on the table unless you want them in Max's mouth. I'll be back out in a bit." Y/N kissed Isaac on the cheek then made her way down the short hall to and into what he expected was her grandmother's office. Isaac started removing his outerwear then slowly and shyly moved over to the table sitting to the right of Bill.

Bill was a large man with a messy grey beard, though he had a full head or dark hair. Y/N always said she had his eyes and now seeing them she was right. She has his eyes. He wore a red flannel and red flannel pants but he still looked a bit chilled, his hands shaking on the table. He was tall, though he sat in a motorized wheelchair and he was missing his left leg, in his younger years Isaac could see him easily matching his own height. He looked gruff and he intimidated Isaac immensely.

"Are you just going to look all day or are you going to talk?"

"No sir, I mean yes sir, wait what was the question?"

"I was kidding, don't be so nervous, I don't have the teeth to bite ya anymore." Bill opened his mouth, showing Isaac the few teeth he had left before picking up a cigarette and lighting it. "You want one?"

Isaac shook his head, "No thanks."

"Good it's bad for ya. You want anything?" Bill asked.

"No thanks." He said again.

"You sure? We got water, coffee, shit on a shingle?" Isaac smiled and sighed.

"Ugh, coffee sounds great." As Bill rolled himself away from the table and toward the kitchen Y/N and her grandmother came out of the office.

"Grandma, Isaac, Isaac, Grandma aka Barb."

"Nice to meet you Isaac, Bill, what are you doing?" Barb asked, seeing bill with his chair raised up, reaching into the cupboard.

"Kid wants coffee."

"I'll do it, I know how he likes it. You want a cup while I'm making?"

"Sure." Bill said, lowering himself and rolling back over to the table.

"Oh and I'll have some tea, my tea maker." Barb placed the cup on the counter, moving over to her seat at the table.

"I don't know if you know this Isaac but Y/N comes from a long line of expert tea makers." Y/N laughed as she moved around the familiar kitche.

"Is something wrong with this kid Y/N? Did you bring home another broken one?" Bill asked, eyeing the boy as he spoke.

"He's not broken he's just nervous." Y/N assured.

"I told ya, don't be nervous. We are a bunch of jokers here. So what do you think of my granddaughter?" Bill asked, a smirk on his thin lips.

"She's great. Sweet and kind and smart and talent. Also she's kinda hot." Isaac said with a slight giggle, trying to warm himself up to the ways of the man beside him.

"Of course she is, look at her grandmother."

"Oh Bill stop it." Barb said, a smile on her face.

"Yeah Papa, stop it." Y/N placed his cup in front of him then placed Isaac's on the table, going back to the counter to make her grandmother's drink.

"What? I'm holding back. I'm a ball buster by nature. Let me have some fun with the kid." Bill said, his voice filling up the house.

"Maybe another time, after he isn't afraid you're going to punch him in the face if he says the wrong thing." Y/N suggested.

"The thing you need to understand about Y/N's grandfather is that he looks like a grizzly bear but on the inside he's nothing but a teddy." Barb replied.

"That must be why Y/N loves him so much." Isaac smiled, eyeing Y/N as she stood at the counter.

She walked over, wrapping an arm around his shoulder and leaning into him before kissing his check with an exaggerated sound. "What can I say, I love my teddy bears."