Ghost (Prequel)

It was the first weekend after classes started, Y/N had just transferred from a two year school to finish her degree. She only knew a handful of people but so far everyone seemed nice. It was a private school and the administration was obviously trying to cut down on campus partying by hosting 'dances' of their own. This particular night they were hosting a 'Welcome Back' dance and while the Freshman and Sophomores were kind of into it Y/N's roommate Lau knew where the real party was at. A few blocks from the school was The Apartments, off campus living for juniors and seniors who achieved a certain GPA, they were small but comfortable enough for two people to live in each. With no RA and no RD within a three block radius it was a perfect place to throw parties.

Y/N and Lau walked from Campus to The Apartments in relative silence but by the time they were at the end of the street the two could already hear the music. From the outside you could see that every door was open and there were masses of people flowing in and out of every apartment. Lau took Y/N's hand and led her to the door in the middle of the first floor, weaving the two of them through the crowd until they stood in the kitchen in front of two tall and rather handsome looking guys who looked to be about their age.

"Ethan, Danny, I would like to introduce you to my transfer roommie Y/N. Y/N, these two studs are Ethan and Danny but don't get any bright ideas, they are particularly fond of each other." The group laughed at Lau's statement, the two men each pulling Lau in for a hug before shaking Y/N's hand. The four of them talked for several minutes before Lau's boyfriend came up behind her pulling her away, she sent a quick wave in Y/N's direction before following him out of the small kitchen.

Y/N stood awkwardly near Ethan while Danny walked around surveying the party goers. They made small talk and Ethan offered her a drink which she quickly snatched from his hand in hopes that it would calm her nerves. She sipped from the cup while she leaned against the counter watching the room. Out of the corner of her eye she watched a figure move quickly towards her, she turned to see Danny reaching out to grab a hold of her arm, pulling her out of the kitchen and into the small living room; ranting and raving about someone she just had to meet. They moved along the wall until they stood next to a tall boy with a dark mop of hair who looked far more enthralled with what his drink looked like than the taste of the liquid.

"Y/N, I want you to meet Isaac. He's a transfer too, we were friends and teammates back in high school." Danny then turned to face Isaac, introducing Y/N in a similar way. "Isaac, I want you to meet Y/N. She's a transfer, she rooms with my friend Lau on campus. I actually think you're in the same building." Y/N raised her hand and whispered a 'hi' that could barely be heard above the music. Isaac copied her actions and the three of them stood awkwardly for a moment before Danny rushed off to calm down another party goer leaving the two alone. They stayed silent for a long time, neither of them really knowing what to say. Just as Y/N was about to walk away back to the kitchen Isaac spoke up.

"So you're a transfer?"

"Yup."

"Where from?"

"My local CC. You?"

"Not my local CC." Isaac laughed at his own comment and hearing his laugh made Y/N smile brightly. "I've been a few places, nothing has really stuck yet I guess. I tried somewhere where I didn't know anyone, somewhere where I knew everyone, now I'm somewhere in the middle because I know Danny and Ethan."

"It must be nice to get around." Isaac glanced at her with a questioning look. She bit her lip and used her free hand to cover her face. "I didn't mean it like that, I mean like travel to different areas. This is the farthest from home I've ever been and I'm only like six hours away." Isaac nodded at her explanation though she hadn't needed one he know what she had meant.

"I guess, though sometimes I wish I stayed in one place longer. That I was content in one place longer."

"You're not getting deep on me already are you? We just met and I haven't even finished my first drink." Y/N gulped down another mouthful of whatever was filling her cup, feeling looser the more she drank and the longer she spoke with Isaac. "Back to basics, what's your major?"

"Education with a minor in history."

"Really? That's kinda funny, I'm an Education major with a minor in English Literature." Y/N took a final gulp of her drink leaving the plastic cup empty giving her the slightest buzz; the warmth in her body and mind making her flirt with the attractive boy in front of her.

"So, Danny said you were teammates, what did you play?"

"We were on the lacrosse team and cross country."

"Nice. I was never much of a sports girl myself but I've always been attracted to guys who played sports. I never dated any of them but that didn't stop me from being attracted to them." Y/N moved closer to Isaac, placing a hand on his arm and looking up at him with wide eyes. She had no idea what was coming over her and she wasn't sure she liked it but it was certainly different than how she would usually be with any guy especially one she had just met. She thought that if she could get some guy to like her at this school, a place where no one knew her, maybe she would feel better about herself so she continued. "I bet you got all the girls in high school." Y/N watch his face drop quickly as if she had struck a particularly tight cord within him and it wasn't more than a moment longer that he was apologizing and making his way to the door leaving a confused young women standing by the wall watching his retreating figure.