Chapter 1 // The Beginning

I hear the familiar sound of birds chirping wildly above me. They shout and sing in the trees, high above my head. I watch quietly as I watch them bounce from tree to tree, tilting their heads, staring down at me. I don't blame them. I'm probably a bloody mess, literally. I want to move but I'm too exhausted to. I'm not even sure how long I've been lying here now. I can't even see the sky above me to see an estimation of what time of day it may be. The tree line is far too thick, much like the gray clouds that put me in this jungle.

I take a sharp breath and prepare to move myself. I can't just lay here anymore. I need to see the situation I'm in. I need to know if there are any more survivors. I don't remember much of anything after falling out of the sky. The last image in my mind is that of the man clinging on to his wife as she was ripped from his grip. That's the last thing that I remember.

I groan and pull myself up, pain shooting through my body. I stand up slowly and carefully, a tree branch helping to steady me as my legs shake with exhaustion. Dry blood is splattered across the back of my hands, cuts and bruises placed along my body. Surprisingly, I'm okay. For just falling 30,000 ft. out of the sky at least. I'm sure that I could be a lot worse.

I move slowly through the thick jungle brush, pulling and pushing the limbs of trees out of my way. After nearly five minutes of walking, I come to a clear. It's a vast beach, pure blue ocean water staring back at me. For a second, I'm in paradise. I watch as the waves roll in, the beautiful sound of water against rock filling my ears. Shortly after, the darkness fades in. The beautiful sound is replaced with the sounds of pain and terror. People screaming.

People run along the sandy beach, bloodied and bruised as I am. They help one another out of the fiery wreckage, some only pulling bodies of the dead. It's the scene that would frighten you the most in an action movie. Except, this isn't a movie. This is real life. I pull myself together and quickly enter the beach, helping a man who's far more seriously injured to me to safety. He groans in pain as I lay him down and move on to the next.

The screams of the injured fill my ears as I attempt to pull more people to safety. Chunks of the plane are scattered throughout the beach, most of it still on fire. A few men work to stop the fire as they pour suitcases of water onto the heated blaze. Eventually, the fire will burn out on it's own. However, whatever or whoever is currently trapped in that blaze will not survive. All one can hope is that all that is in there is currently not alive to witness such a horrific act.

"Help! Help!" A man about my age screams as he tries to pull his leg out from beneath what used to be a row of seats.

"You!" I shout towards another young man with blonde hair, "Come help me!"

"Of course!" He shouts back, running in the direction of the young man who's trapped.

We lift the row of seats off of his leg, revealing a rather brutal wound as we do so. The man yells in agony as he falls back to the sand, his bloody hands covering his face. He cries in pain as I tear off my shirt to control the bleeding. The young man with blonde hair helps me, trying the knot as I keep a firm grip on it.

"What's your name?" I ask, nodding towards the blonde lad.

"Niall..." He says with a quick nod, "What's yours?"

"My name is Harry. Can you stay here with him for a second Niall? I'm going to look for some water..." I say, keeping my focus directly on Niall so that he understands how serious I am.

"Yeah, of course. I won't leave him..." He says, looking back down at the man with the injured leg.

"Okay. I'll be right back then!" I say, quickly getting up in search for some water.