Chapter 9 // Psycho

GUNSHOT.

The loud crack whips through the jungle, the sound vibrating deep within our ears. The three of us immediately turn in our places, switching our attention to the dark jungle behind us. Kennedy whines in Niall's arms. I breathe in a shallow breath, startled by the sudden sound still echoing in the trees above us.

"Nick!" Reagan shouts, urgently jumping towards the path far behind us.

"Reagan!" I shout, pulling her into my arms.

There's no way that we can return to Sol's devilish playground. Sol's a monster. A monster that I don't care to ever set my sights on again. Besides, I owe Nick. I owe him the safety of his sister. Nick is the one who broke us out of Sol's base anyway. The least that I can do for him is keep Reagan under my watch and care.

It may not even be Nick who was shot anyways. It could have been Sol. Perhaps Nick put him out of his misery. Perhaps Nick became our hero once again. Perhaps he'll be returning to us shortly. We all wait a split second, now listening to the near silent jungle. There are no more gunshots. Only the sound of the wildlife that pours from the environment of this harsh jungle that we're currently entwined with.

"Nick..." Reagan cries, collapsing in my arms.

"Reagan..." I whisper, wiping her sweaty hair out of her face, "I'm going to find Nick okay?"

"You can't leave us..." Niall pipes us, taking a step forward.

"Yes," I say, "I have to find him."

"No, Harry..." Niall begins, "We can't be separated! That's too dangerous."

"No!" I shout, standing tall against him. "What is dangerous is running back to the beach to hide as we anticipate the moment that Sol escapes from this jungle again with his men behind him, ready to kill anyone in their path..."

"What are you going to do, huh?" Niall asks, laughing at the end of his own question. "Are you going to take Sol and his men on? Possibly alone?"

"Alone?" Reagan whispers, more tears pouring down her face.

"What if Nick is dead?" Niall asks, asking the question that none of us want to answer.

Nick can't be dead. He's our leader. Well, some may see me as our leader but Nick, Nick is our true leader. He's the fearless one. Without Nick all that we are is fearful. There is no hope for a rebellion against Sol. If this was to launch a war, Sol and his men would win. I can almost guarantee it.

"Nick can't be dead." I state firmly, bringing my eyes up to meet Niall's.

Reagan continues crying in my arms. I lift her slowly, turning her to where she's facing me directly. Much like Sol did when he abused her. However, I would never hurt her. I glide my fingertips along her cheeks, wiping away her tears. Her brown eyes meet mine as she loosely bites her bottom lip in despair.

"Reagan," I whisper, "I'm going to go find Nick, okay?"

"Nick..." She whispers, nodding her head gently.

"Yes," I nod, "I'm going to find him and bring him back to you."

"Yeah," she cries, "I want Nick."

"I know..." I whisper, pulling her back into my arms, "I know you want Nick."

I peer over to Niall who cradles a quiet Kennedy in his arms. He slowly shakes his head at me, signaling that he doesn't believe that Nick made it. I refuse to believe that. I release Reagan from my arms, guiding her over to Niall. He keeps one arm around her and carries Kennedy with the other.