Chapter 11 // Doc

The echoes from the screams fill the space above our heads as we all wage forward. Sol's men pour from the cliff below, their group mixing with ours. Everything appears in slow motion for only a few short seconds. As the feet of Sol's men touch the ground below, everything speeds back up to current time. I stand with Louis, my eyes straight on Sol.

Louis leaps forward, pulling a small machete quickly from the backpack at his feet. He hurriedly drives the machete through the chest of one of Sol's men. The dead man screams in pain, his body falling to the ground as Louis pulls the bloody machete from his chest. I watch in disturbance as Louis turns back to me, a worried look upon his face.

"Get Sol." Louis mutters, raging into the war beyond us.

I flick my head up, looking to where Sol once stood. However, he no longer stands there. My eyes dart the area surrounding the cliff, unable to find him anywhere. I search the crowd of Sol's men as Louis, Liam and Zayn fight each one of them, using what weapons they have accordingly. Reagan. She's missing.

I run forward, climbing up the cliff that Sol once stood upon. I hear screams and shouts coming from up above. I quicken my pace, cutting my hands on the rocks beneath them. I groan in pain, nearly slipping from the side of the tall cliff. I have to push through the pain. I have to get to her.

"Reagan!" I scream, using all of my upper strength to pull myself up the steep ledge.

The screams grow further and further away as I continue climbing. A shooting pain tears through my shoulder, causing me to release the cliff instantly. My body hits the hard ground below, sending more pain through every inch of me. I rapidly scream in pain, arching my back as I roll along the dirt.

I hear one last scream before I'm driven to get up and climb again.

"Harry!"

Reagan's scream echoes in my mind, causing me to climb the ledge much quicker. I ignore the pain. Every ounce of pain in my body suddenly dissolves as I allow her scream to fill my mind. It's my energy to continue fighting, even if I no longer have the strength. As I reach the top of the cliff, I'm once again welcomed by the vast jungle.

They could be moving in any direction. I run forward, pushing back the thick leaves from the jungle. Reagan's screams are silent now. All that I can hear are the screams of the men below and the rapid water running next to me. I stop running, spinning around in every direction. I'm eager to hear her screams again. I need to know how to find her.

"Harry!"

This scream comes from someone else, from the ground below the waterfall. The world returns to slow motion as my mind kicks into high gear. I turn the jungle, trying with every bit of me to hear Reagan's voice. Instead, the only voice that I hear is Liam's. He's yelling for help below. Do I run to help him or continue searching for her?

As this question scrolls through my mind, I'm taken back to my first day of working at the university hospital as part of my education. Our instructor for the day was Dr. Stanley Green. He was an older man with grey hair and wide glasses. He was rude and arrogant, but he knew what the hell he was doing. He had worked at that hospital for nearly 40 years.

He told us students that as doctors, we would always be making choices. Choices that were sometimes life and death. Choices that would decide the fate of someone's future or someone's loved one. The thought of having that responsibility over my young head frightened me quite a bit. After our instruction that day, I ended up staying up all night asking myself if I would ever be able to make one of those choices.

I decided that I could. If there's one thing that I remember in particular from my experience with Dr. Green, it would have to be the last thing that he told us before we were done with our shift. He said, "If you're ever faced with such a choice, choose the person with a better chance of survival. You'll feel more like a hero that way, like it actually wasn't your choice to make because it wasn't a choice, it was fate."

Dr. Green's quote forces me to turn around, climbing back down to the ground below. Liam fights with two of Sol's men as one of the men takes him by the hair, pulling him to his knees. He swiftly punches Liam square in the jaw, sending blood a few feet away from his face. I march behind the man, pulling out a small knife from my back pocket.

I walk behind the man, pushing the knife into his lower back as I pull him closer to me. He screams in pain as I help him to his knees. I yank the knife out, moving it to the exact same location on his back, just on the opposite side. The man screams again, except louder this time. I yank the knife out again as the man falls forward, landing on his stomach.

Blood pours from his back as he whimpers in pain. Right in his kidneys. That will be a quick death. I guess if there's one thing I've learned in medical school that can actually help me with this war, it's knowing where all the right organs and arteries are. That has to count for something.

The four of us continue on with the war, surprisingly managing to swindle the amount of Sol's men down. As Liam and I help one another with one of Sol's men we hear a deafening scream. We both switch our attention from the fighting man below us to our left. Louis stands straight, a large knife buried in his abdomen.

"No!" I scream, pushing the man to Liam as I run towards Louis.

Louis falls to the ground as I approach him, catching him slightly before he causes the knife to slip any further into him. Zayn takes care of the man that did this to him as I hold him in my arms. The war quiets around us as blood streams from his abdomen, leaking onto my own white shirt, staining it red.

"Louis..." I cry, shaking him gently.

"It's okay..." he laughs, "I'll be fine, really."

"You've just been stabbed you idiot!" I scream, tears pouring down my cheeks.

"Yeah," Louis cringes, "I know."

I peer down at his wound, flinching at the sight of it. Blood runs thick along his sides, dampening the ground beneath him. If Dr. Green was here right now, he would call this a "mortal" wound. More tears pour down my face as I even consider the name. I shake my head violently, refusing to accept that fate.

"Liam," I say, "Pick him up. We're heading back to the beach..."

"No!" Louis cries, "What about Reagan?"

"Louis," I say, kneeling next to him, "You've been stabbed. All of my supplies is on the beach..."

"I don't care about me..." Louis cries, shaking his head, "Get Reagan. Then get Sol..."

His words ring in my head. Get Sol. That's what he said right before this war begun. Getting Sol is our goal. Reagan returning to us will be our reward. However, I won't allow someone else's life to come to an abrupt end just so that I can save another. That doesn't seem fair.

"Harry..." Louis cries, tears running down his dirty face, "You have to get her. You have to get the girl."

"I can't make that choice..." I cry, shaking my head as I clutch onto his neck.

"That's why I'm making it for you..." Louis laughs through his tears.

"Louis," I whisper, "I could've saved you..."

"Well..." he whispers, "you can't save everybody doc..."

I run my tongue across my broken bottom lip as sobs escape from my mouth. I tighten my hand in Louis, attempting to get him to squeeze back as hard as possible. It works...but only for awhile. After a few quiet minutes, Louis' eyes slowly close as he watches the world above him in his last moments.

I stand up calmly, keeping my hands loosely at my sides. What once were clenched fists are now exasperated broken knuckles falling tiredly at my sides. Shallow breaths escape my chest as my face is stained with tears and my shirt stained red with blood. Nobody says a single word. We just stare down at our friend.

At Doncaster's best futbol star. Louis "The Tommo" Tomlinson.

Vote - Comment - Etc

A/N:

I'm crying. Please leave your comments down below during this very difficult time. Thank you and God bless. xx Sarah