Chapter 12 // Boss

The jungle is silent as Zayn and Liam carry Louis' body throughout the course of the jungle. It's since been a few hours since the war that we fought with Sol's men. The three of us surrounded Louis' body as we came up with a plan of action of what to do next. We hadn't heard any screams coming from Reagan or anyone else in the jungle. No more gunshots either.

We've assumed that Sol has taken Reagan back to another passage of his underground base as the direction that he was heading in was far from where we once were housed in the cells before. We've also assumed that he won't kill Reagan but will instead hold her as a hostage. Perhaps that's only wishful thinking on our part.

If anything were to ever happen to Reagan, I would be gutted. Not only because since we've crash landed here on this island I've begun to develop feelings for her but because I truly feel as if I owe it to Nick to keep her safe. I've grown overprotective of her in many ways. I have to get her back again. I have to keep her safe.

As we hike back through the jungle, the memory of the decision that I had to make flows back throughout my mind. The moment that I decided to turn back to the war instead of choosing to follow after Sol and Reagan. Of course, I wonder if I made the right decision. Once I turn around to watch as Zayn and Liam carry onto Louis' lifeless body, I decide that I ultimately made the correct one.

If I hadn't turned back, all three of them could have been killed by Sol's men. There's no way I could have lived with myself if that would have happened. I just wish that there would've been some way to save Louis. With his loss, another hero has been surrendered to our pitiful situation on this island. If we don't end Sol soon, more of us will fall.

"I know I shouldn't ask so soon," Liam huffs as he climbs over a small hill, "but how are we going to get Reagan back?"

"You're so worried about the girl..." Zayn mutters, "I just lost my best fuckin' friend."

"I'm sorry mate," Liam says, turning his head slightly to Zayn behind him, "but we do have to get her back eventually right?"

"Yeah..." I whisper, not bothering to turn to look back at them.

I don't really feel like talking much as we prepare to bury another body. I wipe the sweat dripping from my forehead as I peer up at the sunlight filtering through the tall trees above our heads. The light warms my already hot skin as more sweat falls to the ground beneath me. My chest rises and falls heavily as my mind continues to race with memories.

After a few hours of hiking through the jungle, we find ourselves back on the beach. I feel a bit of relief, but only a little. I know that as soon as Louis is buried and we get a few short hours of sleep, we'll be back into the jungle searching for Reagan. My worst fear is that we'll find her in the way that I found Nick. My chest burns with a rising panic attack as the thought even streams through my mind.

"Harry!" Niall shouts, immediately rising from the sand.

The sun is nearly set now, the sky painted with light blue and pink colors. If I wasn't feeling so miserable, I would probably say that it was beautiful. I kick off my boots to feel the cool sand beneath my feet. Niall slowly approaches us as he watches as Zayn and Liam carry Louis' body out from the thick brush.

"Louis..." He whispers, looking over to me.

"I couldn't save him..." I shrug, sitting down on the sand.

"And where's Reagan?" Niall asks, shrugging his own bare shoulders.

"We lost her..." Liam quips as him and Zayn sets Louis' body near the medical station.

"And Sol?" Niall asks, looking back towards me.

"Nope..." I whisper as I shake my head.

"Shit..." He mutters under his tired breath.