Chapter 4 // Search

The few backpacks that we could find are quickly loaded down with supplies that we found to be useful. We each have a few bottles of water, packets of food and a few other survival necessities. We're not sure how long we'll be in the jungle. However long it will take to find Reagan. A few hours, a few days, maybe even a few weeks. If we need anything, we'll just have to make another trip back to the beach.

I throw the heavy backpack onto my back and glance over to Nick who's adjusting his own backpack. He's worried. Reagan has already been gone for over an hour. She could be anywhere in the jungle by now. What doesn't make sense is why she entered the jungle. We had all agreed that no one would ever enter the jungle unless given instruction to. God knows that lies beneath the thick trees that hang over the jungle sky.

"It didn't make any sense mate," Nick says, "She just began calling out her name. I thought maybe she was just dehydrated and hallucinating. I mean, that's what it must be right?"

"Calling out whose name?" I ask, tightening the straps of the backpack.

"Our mom's." He whispers, shaking his head.

"Your mom's?" I ask, squinting my eyes underneath the hot sun.

"Yeah," he says, "She just kept whispering "Moira." That was all she was saying."

"Is she close to your mom?" I ask, standing next to him.

"No," he whispers, "Our mom is dead. Has been for nearly 5 years."

I breathe in and take one last glance at the ocean view to our side. I'm not sure why Reagan dived into the jungle. I'm not sure why she was chanting her and Nick's mother's name over and over again before she did. Perhaps Nick is right, maybe she's just overly dehydrated and is beginning to hallucinate. That's the only logical explanation that would make any sense.

"Alright," I say, "Are you ready then?"

"I'm ready." Nick says, nodding his head.

"Let's get going then..." I say, walking towards the lining of the jungle.

A few members of the group walk behind us, ready to send us off on what could potentially become a suicide mission. Just in case, I've appointed Liam as the leader for now. Although, I'm still not sure how I was ever given the role as leader in the first place. That doesn't matter now. What matters is finding Reagan and getting her safely back here to the beach.

"Ay!" Louis calls behind us, "I'm coming with you!"

"No." I say, turning around.

"Yes!" He says, "I've already got my bag packed for our little adventure."

"This isn't an adventure." Nick says, "I'm trying to find my fuckin' sister..."

"Yeah mate, I want to help..." Louis says, nodding his head.

"Whatever. Just don't slow us down or I'll kick your ass..." Nick says, pointing a finger in Louis' face.

"Sure mate, no slowing down whatsoever..." Louis laughs, shaking his head.

"Let's go..." I say, heading into the lining of the jungle.

The jungle is vast and damp. Wet mud soaks beneath our boots as strange noises come from every which way. Our clothes stick to our hot skin as mosquitos fester around us. It's hard to breathe in and out as the hot air makes it's way through our nostrils. Being in the jungle feels about the same as being in a disgusting, foreign sauna that never ends.

All that can be smelled is the smell of our own sweat and rotting plants. I suddenly miss the fresh smell of the sea water stemming from the ocean. The three of us are all quiet as we step over various plants and fallen trees. We listen carefully for any sound that can lead us to Reagan, any screams, whispers, etc. We hear nothing but birds overhead and the bugs buzzing in our ears.