Chapter 10 // War

My heart burns in my chest as I hang my head in despair. My mind races with plans for the war that I have waged with Sol and his men. I will not find peace until they pay for Nick's death. Until they pay for what damage they've thrown on us. For the pain that Reagan will have to endure for the rest of her life. I breathe in silently, wiping away sweat from my forehead as I finish burying Nick's body.

I buried him near the tree that we came to pass time and time again. The tree has now become a symbol of courage and bravery to me, the tree that we always have to pass in order to continue fighting our struggles. Nick passed this tree in an attempt to end Sol's reign on this chaotic island. Unfortunately, he will not pass it again to return back to us. Instead, he will stay here, his grave set as a reminder to us all.

Mud and loose branches pile over his hidden body as I wipe my filthy hands off on my shorts. I have to return to the beach. As much as I would love to head over to Sol's underground base and rip his head off of his shoulders right this very second, I can't. A soldier doesn't go into war alone and well if he does, he dies as Nick did.

The thought of having to face returning to the beach without Nick kills me. I can only imagine the excitement that will erupt through Reagan when she sees me again but when she notices that Nick is not with me, she way lose any hope that she carries with her. Unless I lie of course. Unless I tell her that I couldn't find Nick. That might buy me some time to come up with a better practiced plan in telling her the devastating news.

I nod my head slowly, agreeing with my own plan. That's what I'll do. It's what I have to do. I have to keep Reagan's hopes alive right now if we're going to defeat Sol. If I told her the truth, there's no way that she'd be able to help us in taking him down. She would be too enveloped in her grief to participate in anything else. All that I need right now is her mad and thinking that there's a possibility of Nick returning with us.

"Rest in peace mate..." I whisper to Nick's grave before I turn to return to the beach.

After a few hours of walking once again through the thick jungle, I make it back to the beach. The warm sand is welcomed beneath my sore feet, the cool ocean air making it easier to breathe once again. The sun shines bright above my head, my eyes quickly adjusting again to the sudden light. With the immediate sunlight hitting my pale skin, I can almost feel the sunburn instantly being tattooed onto my body.

"Harry!" Reagan screams, leaping up from her spot on the sand.

Oh no. Here comes her sudden disappointment, and then her sudden desperation for Nick.

"Reagan..." I whisper, smiling sheepishly towards her.

She stops in her tracks, noticing that Nick isn't with me. I knew that this would happen. This is nearly exactly how it played out in my head. She takes in a deep breath, running a hand through her long hair.

"Where's Nick?" She asks, quickly approaching me.

"I couldn't find him..." I lie, squinting down at the sand under my feet.

"You couldn't find him?" She asks, her voice low.

"No," I whisper, "I didn't see anyone. Not even Sol."

"Well then," Louis says, approaching the group, "We're going back to look for him right?"

The group all nods and cheers in agreeance. I take in a deep breath, walking towards the group that has themselves positioned in an awkward circle. I sit next to Carson who's cradling a sleeping Kennedy in her arms. I smirk to myself and lean over towards Kennedy, kissing her tiny head. I almost forgot that innocence still exists on this island.