Chapter 14 // Escape

• Dedicated to all Stranded readers

Reagan's POV

A clock ticks vigorously above my head as I keep my back against the cool concrete wall behind me. I breathe in heavily as my mind races with thoughts. What's going on, on this island? What is Carson really ahead of? What's the "Area 51" shit that Eddie spoke of?

I just shake my head as I scratch my sweaty palms. I've been sitting in this small room for God knows how long now. I've lost track of the time. I would guess nearly two days, maybe it's been longer. I'm not sure really. All that I know is that I'm ready to get the hell off this island. I feel a tug in my chest as memories of Nick trickle into my thoughts.

Nick was the only person that I had left. Once I leave this island, I'll be all alone. I don't have anyone anymore. My mom is gone. Nick is gone. All who's left is me. What a joke. Why would I be left of all of us? Nick was a much better person than I am. I mean, all that I do in my spare time is party, drink and sleep with guys that treated me like shit. Nick actually had his life together. He mentored young kids at a community center in Sydney.

He would help them get out of whatever it was that they were struggling with, drugs, alcohol, gangs; whatever it was, he was the one that helped them out of it. Those kids were his family. To most of the kids, Nick was the brother, or even father that they never had. The relationships that they all had were all individually special. I'm not sure how I'll ever share the news of his death with them. It will crush them.

As memories of Nick with the community kids run along my mind, the door of the room swings open. Eddie stands in the doorway wearing her regular black jumpsuit, the same jumpsuit that Sol wears. She presses her index finger to her lips as to tell me to remain quiet. I nod slowly in response as she carefully makes her way across the room.

She kneels down next to me and begins to fiddle with the cold metal handcuffs that my hands are bound in. I just watch her as she pulls a key out of the front pocket of her jumpsuit and unlocks the handcuffs. I immediately grab onto my bruised wrists, my hands and wrists burning in pain from being bound together by the metal handcuffs.

"I'm getting you out of here..." she whispers, helping me to my feet.

"Why?" I ask, continuing to hold my wrists.

"You don't belong here..." she answers, quickly pulling me towards the exit of the room.

"What is going on?" I ask, being dragged along besides her.

"Listen," she whispers as she spins around, "you get to your friends on the beach and immediately find a way off of this island. I don't care if you have to swim off this island, you just need to get off of it."

"Is something going to happen to the island?" I ask with a quick shrug of my shoulders.

"Something has been going on, on this island. Haven't you noticed that?" she asks with a taunting laugh.

"Well," I shrug, "this island is a pretty evil place..."

"This island isn't evil Reagan," she begins, "nor is it corrupted or twisted, because this island is only an island. People have made this island evil. Carson has that corrupted and twisted spirit, a spirit that has been running along the floor of this island for years. This island is no longer apart of what she does, it's who she is."

The hair on the back of my neck rises as she finishes her brief speech. Whatever the hell Eddie is warning me about, I better take her seriously, fast. I just nod quietly and allow the words to further sink in. She just nods to herself and pulls me out of the room.

As we make our quick escape, a familiar face steps in front of us. Sol. He stands in his black jumpsuit, muscular arms wrapped tight across his chest. An arrogant smile stretches across his face as he cocks his head to the side. My heart drops into my stomach as I realize that my escape plan has more than likely already met it's end.