//chapter 2//

just a quick little note:) I didn't proof read this so I do apologise for any spelling, punctuation or grammar mistakes. I can never be bothered to re read the whole chapter again so sorry about that but I hope you enjoy this chapter X

***

walking out of the plane onto Canadian soil, I notice almost instantly it was not warm at all. I am shivering and I have already got goosebumps. I pull down the sleeves on my jumper and put my earphones in. half humming to Taylor Swifts newest song which I am recently obsessed with, I make my way to the main building to get collect my luggage.

it takes me 10 minutes to find my luggage, I notice my bright neon yellow tag that I attached to the handle. it was hard to miss it. I carry it off from the conveyer belt as quickly as I can, hoping not to hit someone and I begin to wheel it to the way of the exit.

***

"hey! you must be Ellie. im Karen. your mum." I couldn't believe it. we actually look a lot alike. she has my dark auburn hair and my chocolate eyes. she is the same height as me and she is giving me a massive smile showing off her pearly white teeth. she's really pretty, for a middle-aged woman in her thirties.

"Hi, it's nice to meet you," I say forcing a smile on my face. I still wasn't all that 100% happy to be here. my decision to go and stay in Canada was not revolved all around me. it was my dad, I wanted to make him happy. Im semi-glad I did decide to go,  I did have other reasons for wanting to get the hell away from England. 4000 miles away seemed far enough.

she pulls me in for a hug. she smelt sweet and also of peonies weirdly enough. she has a tight grip and I feel her arms squeeze me tightly around my waist.

"I have missed you so much!" she pulls away.

"look at you! you are so so grown up and so beautiful!" a tear rolls down her cheek. I plaster on a smile again.

we head out the exit. she took my suitcase and leads me to her car. I follow her as she takes me over to the car park and stops outside a black land rover. it looks really cool.

" I thought it would be hotter here," I say trying to strike a conversation. I was slightly disappointed about the weather. I was hoping that I would be able to get a tan but it seemed not likely. I probably should have checked the weather forecast.

she smiles at me again.

"It can get pretty hot here in the summer so don't you be thinking that Canada is all igloos and ice hockey alright!?"

"Alright, I say" with a slight genuine laugh.

she unlocks the car, opens the trunk and puts my suitcase in gently. I bet she and her family are somewhat rich because owning a land rover like the one that she has often meant she had some money to spare as these types of cars are not cheap.

"it's open"

I move around the right side of the car remembering that they drive on the other side of the road in this country. I take off my backpack and slide into the seat. I feel the heat of the leather seats against my skin. mum climbs in on the driver's side and starts the engine.

"how was the flight?" she says trying to engage me in another conversation.

"ermm..yeah it was okay..slightly long though"  I turn my head and look out the window. I hear her gulp. I know what was coming next.

 "and how is your dad?" she says taking a deep breath

"He has never been better" I lie. he has spent the last couple of years working 10-hour shifts at his work so we can pay the rent. he's hardly ever home apart from Sunday afternoons and in the evenings. I try to sound enthusiastic and it seems like it's working. she nods and turns her head back on the road.