- chapter 11-

Oh lord. I think im in trouble.

"Would one of you like to explain to me why I get a call from Madeleine at 5.00 in the morning asking to pick you two up because you are too drunk to walk let alone to drive!" Karen shouts.

" and when I do turn up Ellie is fast asleep and reeks of alcohol and you Shawn are nowhere to be seen! Where the hell were you!!"

I look at Shawn. He is looking down at his hands. His curly hair is messy and his eyes looked knackered. His clothes are all creased and he looks a mess. He is silent.

"I am so disappointed in you two. We thought you were going to be sensible at this party not get drunk and stay up to silly 'o' clock ." Manny says

"You guys are grounded today and no phones. So hand them over" Karen shouts

We both sigh and grumble under our breaths. I take my phone out of my pocket and hand it over and so does Shawn.

"I hope you learn what you two did was stupid and are sorry for what you have done. Now both of you get out of my sight"

We both stand up and leave with our heads low. I go out the room. Shawn goes up the stairs and I go into the kitchen.

Aaliyah is at the table colouring in a picture from a colouring pad. I smile at her and go over to her.

"Hi, Ellie! You are awake! Are mummy and daddy cross with you? Because they are with Shawn!"

"And why is it you think that?" I pick up a pencil and help her colour in a flower.

"Because he only came home like half an hour ago."

Oh damn...that explains a lot.

"Oh..okay.. what are you doing today?"

"Im going to spend the day with you silly! Your grounded and staying at home so we... I have to make most of it before you are away again! shawn included"

I smile at her. She was so sweet.

***

I and Aaliyah are making fairy cakes. Together we measure out the butter and the flour and pour the ingredients into the mixing bowl. we both use our wooden spoons to fold the cream coloured batter and carefully spoon the mixture into pink sparkly cases.

I put them in the oven and together, singing along to Disney songs on my tablet, we wash up. we slide along the tile floor in our socks and do spins and we end up making up a small dance routine to let it go from frozen.

once the cupcakes are out the oven we put them out on a cooling rack and we make the strawberry buttercream. once cooled I cut the top part of the cupcake off and Aaliyah splodges on a spoon of cream and sticks the fairy wings back on. we end up getting the cream everywhere but its really funny. aaliyah puts some on my nose and chase her around the room trying to get the icing bowl back.

we sit down at the table and we have a cake each. they are light and fluffy and delicious. when Aaliyah bites into hers, her whole face glows up. we take one in for Karen and Manny who are watching tv. Aaliyah also suggests making them a cup of tea and together we walk in and give it to them.

they smile and say thank you. I could tell they haven't quite forgiven me yet but they did seem very happy with the free food and drinks. we leave them and go back into the kitchen.

"Ellie what about Shawn?!" she says all of a sudden

"what do you mean what about Shawn?" I say all confused