12. Cardiac Arrest

"Aw, Steve, look! Nat posted our holiday picture!" Bucky smiles as he rolls over and shows me his phone.

I smile when I see the black and white photograph. I'm staring off into space, happy as can be, and Bucky has wrapped his arms around my shoulders. He looks absolutely adorable, and I can't help but tell him exactly that.

He grins and tosses his phone aside as he says, "Thanks, babe."

     I press a kiss to the top of his head, "So, do you still want to help me in the studio today?"

     Natasha and Tony upgraded the equipment in the recording studio for me for Christmas. I've been down there a few times to record some songs the past couple days, and Bucky's been helping with the technical aspects. I enjoy spending time with my music, especially when Bucky is there.

    He smiles as he climbs out of bed and picks his hoodie up off the floor, "Hell yeah, I do! I love helping you record!"

    I smile as he scrambles around looking for clothes, and I can't help but shake my head when he grabs my favorite ballcap and puts it on his head.

     He happily strolls over to the bedroom door as he says, "I'll get everything ready, Stevie!"

     As he runs out of sight, I roll out of bed and put on one of my worn-in Team USA crewneck sweatshirts. I run my fingers through my hair as I head out of the bedroom and go to the kitchen. I hum softly as I pour myself a cup of coffee, happy to spend this lazy Saturday on another track.

     I sip on my coffee as I walk to the elevator and ask Jarvis to send me up to the studio. He chatters away as I go up a number of floors, and he tells me he's surprised that I'm awake before noon.

     Nat smiles as I come off the elevator, saying, "Good morning, Rogers!"

     I smile back, "Mornin', Natasha."

    She walks with me to the recording studio, saying, "Bucky seems excited today. I assume you've got a song to record?"

     I nod, saying, "Since I'm technically unemployed until our next mission, I thought I could put my love of the arts to use."

     "Well, it's working out really well," she says. "You're climbing the charts and our social media presence is larger than life. People can't get enough of the voice of freedom."

     I laugh, "I hope that's not what everyone is saying about my singing."

     She grins, "Of course not."

     "Hey, Steve, Tony's got a request!" Bucky says as I walk into the studio control room and set my mug in front of him. "And I hope you know that I'm going to chug the rest of this."

    I drop a kiss on the top of his head, saying, "All yours."

    I grab my headphones and toss my phone to Bucky as I walk into the recording booth and shut the door behind me.

    As I get everything set up and connected, Bucky says, "Tony requested that you record a song for the Avengers' annual PR campaign. He said you'd know it since I play it all the time in the gym."

     "What is it?" I ask as I adjust the microphones and get in position in the middle of them.

"It's by Papa Roach," he tells me. "'Born for Greatness'."

I crack a smile, saying softly, "He probably chose that song since you play it at least once a day."

Bucky smiles at me as he puts on his headphones, "I play it every day to remind you that everything you are didn't come from a bottle. You were great before you became Captain America, and you always will be."

Babe.

     Too cute.

      Be still my heart.

He turns to the controls at his fingertips, "Now, I've got a song to record, and you have to sing it. Shall we?"

"Let's do it," I say with a grin, and he just smiles at me.

     I wait patiently for the track to roll into play, and when the first notes slide right into my ears, I can't help but fall into performance mode. I performed like a monkey in the forties, doing what the government wanted on my tours, but now as I take a deep breath and let the music take me, I know that this is different from before. This act of performing has my heart and my soul in it.

     This voice of mine is here to carry the winged hope and passion of millions, not drag the dead weight of bonds and bullets.

     But there's another reason why.

     It's for Bucky.

     He's my hope.

     A muscle deep in my chest twitches.

     Son of a bitch!

     I look up at Bucky, probably like a deer in headlights.

   Help!

     Bucky cuts the track when he sees the panic in my eyes, and he scrambles over to the emergency panel by the door.

     I can't breathe.

     I tear off my headphones as an alarm blares through the tower. Bucky throws open the studio door and then he turns around to open the recording booth door. He grabs my hands just as my back hits the wall, and lowers me gently to the floor.

     I thought I fixed this.

     "Stevie, honey, breathe for me," he says, holding me in his arms. "Don't think, just breathe." He shouts for help, his voice rattling the booth's glass panes. "TONY!"

     Shit.

     My heart thunders in my ears and my lungs start to burn furiously.

     Why can't I breathe?!

     "Natasha!" Tony shouts over his shoulder as he comes through the studio door.

     What the hell is happening?

    Bucky takes my hands and squeezes my fingers, panic in his eyes.

     "I called Dr. Cho. She's on her way and will be here any minute." Nat tells Tony as she runs in.

     Shit, shit, shit.

"We need to get Steve on oxygen and stabilize him immediately," Bucky tells them as they rush to my side. "He can't breathe."