50. Shapeshifters (Steve)

"Holy shit," Sam says as he joins me outside of the lab's observation tank.

I grin as I say, "I told you it was real."

"How the hell did this happen?" Sam asks, eyes wide.

On the other side of the bulletproof glass stands Rhodey, Tony, and Bruce. Beyond them, there is a massive treadmill with a solid black wolf running, full speed, at 112 miles per hour.

"Alright, Barnes, what else can you show us?" Tony asks, grinning.

The wolf, in a flurry of fur and feathers, transforms into a raven, and flies around the observation tank.

"No idea," I tell Sam. "Tony and Bruce think that the triplets' birth may have triggered the mutation and that it's finally surfacing a year later. We're waiting to see who else is affected, and Tony thinks that Wanda's next on the list."

"What has Adam said about it?" He asks.

"Hes impressed," I say. "Bucky is learning quickly, and his transition between forms is seamless now."

"How long did it take for that to happen?" Sam asks,

"About ten minutes," I smile. "My baby is a fast learner, you know."

"And an even better sniper," he points out.

"He's a man of many tricks and trades," I say softly, focusing on the raven that is transforming into a panther. "He's shifting into new animals, getting a better feel for what he's capable of now."

"How can you tell?" He asks.

"He was going back and forth between the wolf and the raven," I tell him. "The panther is new."

"Parachute!"

I smile and look up to catch Merida as she jumps from the lab rafters down to me.

Once she's safe in my arms, I press a kiss to her cheek, saying, "There's my little angel."

She grins, "Did I do it right this time?"

"It was perfect," I tell her. "You even got the flip!"

"Momma and Dot have been helping me with my flips!" She tells me.

"Merida Grace!"

Nat appears in the rafters, green eyes narrowed, lips set in a firm line, hands on her hips.

"What did you do this time?" I ask Merida with a sigh.

"She climbed up here without anyone watching her," Nat tells me.

"Why don't you show Meri what she'll be able to do as long as she keeps practicing?" I suggest.

Nat smiles, saying, "I'd step back if I were you, then."

She smacks her wrists together and an assortment of knives come out of her bracers.

Spiderweb.

That's what she calls this one.

I take a good ten steps back, pulling Sam with me. Bucky shifts back to his human form, sweat dripping off of him, hair plastered to his forehead, chest heaving as he takes a deep breath. He nods toward the ceiling, and Tony, Rhodey, and Bruce turn around.

Tony grins when he sees Nat in the rafters.

That's his girl.

"Watch close, baby girl," I say to Merida as I look up to watch Nat.