27. Between Realms (Bucky)

"Steve?" I cough, dust and ash falling like snow around me.

Is he even alive?

Wait.

Am I alive?

It looks like the snow that fell in Germany, back in the 40s when I was with that man. The man from the bridge.

Steve.

Right.

Hold on.

His name is Steve...but what is mine?

A church bell tolls in the distance, proudly announcing that the clock has changed to a different hour on this extraordinarily different day.

But other than the bell, everything is silent.

I dust myself off and push myself to my feet, stumbling forward a bit when I realize that my balance isn't exactly at 100%.

I catch myself with my hands, muttering to myself as I push myself up again and move forward. All around me in a wide circle, the area is entirely clear. Trees have fallen, the ground has been scorched, and the clouds have vanished.

Where the fuck am I?

The last thing I remember is fighting that man, Steve, on the bridge...but I also remember how he made me feel alive, and, maybe, nostalgic...loved? Understood?

Whatever.

Something was different about the way he looked at me and the way he made me feel.

I can't put my finger on it, but I feel like I know him. He must be important, my latest mission or something.

I wrench off the muzzle over my mouth so I can actually breathe and be heard.

Wait a second...I'm still wearing a muzzle?

The image of that man from the bridge, in impractical khakis of all things, is saying something to me. The memory plays in my head.

He knows me.

Do I know him?

I find myself saying his name as the memory fades into the snow.

"Steve...?" I call, looking around carefully for any signs of life. "Steve?"

I step forward, moving closer to the edge of the circle, and then I notice a white light streaking toward me.

I've gotta be dead.

I've lost my mind.

The white light flashes like a lightning bolt and overwhelms the area around me. I shield my eyes with my arm to keep it from blinding me, and then I'm left scrambling to cover my ears as the screech of a million fucking eagles rips through the air.

It ends within seconds of beginning, but it takes a moment for the light to fade.

I uncover my eyes and put my hands down as the light fades to oblivion. I nearly come unglued when I see a man dressed in an exquisite navy blue suit standing before me.

Holy fuck.

It's him.

I find myself saying his name again, "Steve?"

That's the man from the bridge.

He smiles warmly and extends his hands to me, saying softly, "Bucky."