Chapter 4: Eve

August 1st

August 1st

I was the forgotten child. Honestly, not my by parents, but by everyone else. Everyone had a best friends. I had best friends, but usually I wasn't the number one best friend. I was quiet yeah, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be listened to. Dad and Pop always listened, but they were my parents. I couldn't be best friends with my parents.

Growing up, we had a huge group of family friends. Carla and Marion had Gloria, who was close friends with Alex and Emily, our cousins. It was always them and Dean because they were the oldest. Alex was two years older so he started to out grow them, but him and Gloria were always on and off again, usually just as friends with benefits. Her and Dean were kind of the same, usually hooking up every now and then. Then Gloria, Emily, and Dean were all going away to college together. They were all close though, and everyone wanted to be friends with Dean.

Kenneth and Carmen were always best friends, and they always hung out with their band friends. Gabriel was best friends with Alyssa, Jeremy and Micah's daughter. And then Alyssa was dating Owen and Liam's son Tamir. He was my age but always hung out with them more. Plus, Gabriel was so charismatic and had all the theater and choir kids. I was always so alone, and sometimes people at school forgot I was a part of the Jeff-Lane family.

I wasn't that interesting. When people asked me what my hobbies were I always said reading, but in reality I didn't even read that much. I liked it, but I read so many books when I was younger sometimes I got bored with any new ones. I didn't play an instrument or sing like Carmen and Kenneth, and I didn't have the personality like Dean or Gabriel. I wasn't in any after school clubs and I don't think I was really good at anything. I was pretty, and that was about it, but I didn't wear makeup that much or wear interesting clothes. The only thing I liked doing was learning about mystical stuff, like astrology or what plants and gems symbolize. Palm reading and pagan stuff like that I guess. But everyone always thought it was lame and it wasn't real, and sure I don't really believe in it, but I liked it. I had this authentic crystal ball, and it never told me anything but I liked looking at it, seeing my reflection upside down in the glass. I always hoped it would tell me something one day.

I was sitting on the swing on the front porch, not really liking the party downstairs. That's when Gloria came around the house. "Whew," she sighed, catching her breath. She was wearing short shorts, high waisted in an olive green with a black crop top. I could tell she wasn't wearing a bra. She was always like that, always so carefree and very feminist. Confident and charismatic.

"Hey, what are you doing out here?" she asked.

I shrugged. "Just sitting."

She sat next to me. "The party is getting lame. Random people keep showing up and I honestly don't even know where Dean is."

"I've never been one for parties."

"Wanna get out of here?"

"And go where?"