Chapter 21: Dean

September 25th

Dad and Pop's 20th anniversary was on a Friday. They came down during the day and Pop was planning a celebration with close friends and family. Carmen, Ken, and Gabriel were going to come down after school. I told Dr. Lovett I would have to cut our independent study short, and that she could be my date to the celebration. 

Grandma, Grandpa, Granny, and Grandad were all there. Aunt Alisha and Uncle Clovis with Emily and Alex were there. Uncle Claude was there, coming alone because of his recent divorce. Aunt Axelle was there with one of her boy toys on her arm. Otherwise there wasn't really anyone else that we ever talked to in the family, on either side. Micah Schumacher and Jeremy Dehart with Alyssa showed up. The Brave family came. The Rodriguez family came. Marcus Kingsley and Daniel Shipley came. Michael and Emilio were there but they let John, Jose, and Eric stay home at a sleepover since it was a more adult thing. 

Gabriel brought his friend Abe, I brought Dr. Lovett, Kenneth brought Madison even though they weren't dating anymore. Carmen came alone and Eve didn't bring anyone since Gloria was going to be there anyway. To everyone's surprise, Carmen's mom Clara and her girlfriend Lorena came. Cassidy was there too.

There was a buffet in the dining room with cocktail tables around so people could eat and chit chat, music playing. I stood with Dr. Lovett, Emily and Cassidy standing with us at the cocktail table, eating the good food. 

"This is my cousin Emily and then this is Cassidy, a scholarship recipient of my fathers'," I introduced. "This is Dr. Colette Lovett, an associate professor in the Political Science department and Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies department."

"Nice to meet you, I've heard about you," Emily said. 

"Nice to meet you too. Which side of the family are you related on?" Dr. Lovett asked.

"Technically both. My mom is the sister of his dad and my dad is brother of his other dad."

"Aunt Alisha, her mom, was also the surrogate mother for me," I said. "So she's my cousin but technically half sister. That's probably why we hate each other so much."

"I can think of many other reasons."

"I can see a resemblance," Dr. Lovett said.

we stood around, and I occasionally introduced her to other people. I was kind of trying to avoid Dad and Pop but I knew it was inevitable. Everyone didn't say anything about her being my professor. They just went with it. I knew Dad wouldn't.

"This is my father Emerson and my father Lafayette," I said. "This is my professor, Dr. Colette Lovett for my political science class."

"Nice to meet you," Pop said, putting on his CEO demeanor again.

"You as well," Colette said.

"So this is the older woman you were bragging about," Dad said.

"None other."

"I was thinking someone our age," he said. He looked at Colette. "Is it allowed?"

"Emmy," Pop said. "I did many things that were in violation of your work contract when you were my assistant."

"I'm just wondering, like I wouldn't want Dean to use his prowling charm to jeopardize her position."

"It's fine," Colette said. "We're keeping it under wraps, especially for the time he's in my class."

"She actually fails me more now," I said.

She laughed but Dad said, "You're getting failing grades?"

"No, Dad, of course not."