Chapter 42: Kenneth

May 4th

Dad turned forty-five, and we threw a small birthday party. Dean was finished with classes. Gabriel, Carmen, Eve, and I had a few weeks left. Carmen and I had our prom the same night of Dad's birthday. Only junior and seniors could go to the prom unless a junior or senior brought an underclassman as a date, and since Gabriel's boyfriend was a junior they were going to go.

We celebrated his birthday in the morning at the townhouse because the prom was in the city. Everyone was there because everyone loved Dad. We didn't get him anything, but we just had a big brunch and had fun.

"Do you think you'll get Prom King?" Dad asked.

"I don't know and I don't really care," I said. "Prom King and Queen is so dumb to me."

"Don't tell your brother that." Dean of course won Prom King last year.

"You guys are going to look marvelous tonight."

Carmen and Madison were "dates" while Riley and I were "dates" but in reality we were all four going together. They used to have a fancy "Prom Walk In" but stopped it after more and more students stopped doing it. Madison and Alex were a thing but Alex didn't want to go since he was a little older, and Madison was fine with it. She was going to wear a shorter white dress with a cape effect. Riley was going to wear a black long dress with a gold diamond back. Carmen had a beautiful, long gold dress made of tulle and gold rhinestones. It looked amazing by itself so I knew it would look great on Carmen. I was wearing a standard black and white tux with gold accents, so it tied all four of our outfits together.

"What are you and Pop going to do?" I asked.

"Well we'll probably stay up in our room while you guys have your party," he said. Since their room was on the top floor, it wasn't a big deal if the parents were home. "And probably have a lot of birthday sex."

"Thanks for sharing."

"Well we're getting too old, sooner or later we won't be able to do it anymore." He looked at himself in the camera on his phone, fixing his hair.

"Dad you literally look like you did ten years ago," I said.

"Yeah but I was thirty-five ten years ago, I want to look like I'm twenty-five still. Well actually we just had Dean so maybe like twenty-three or twenty-four, before I looked miserable from being a parent."

"You look great dear," Pop said, coming up and kissing his cheek. "I'm the one who has visibly changed the most."

"Yeah, but you're not a twink like me. You can get away with looking rugged." Dad sighed, locking his phone. "Men have it so easy."

"Happy birthday old man."

Dad and Pop danced as the party went on, staying in their loving little world. After, they went out with some friends and we started getting ready for Prom.

Gabriel and his female friends were on the fourth floor getting ready, while his boyfriend and their male friends were on the third floor getting ready. Carmen, Madison, Riley, and a few girls from band were getting ready in her room. I was getting ready in my room with just a few guys from band.

The guys of course got ready quickly, and we waited downstairs for the girls. They came down the stairs one by one, like a little fashion show, with music playing. By this time, Dad and Pop were back and all the parents of everyone was there to take pictures. Dean was there with his friend Angela, putting it on snapchat and instagram. Riley came around the corner, striking a pose. Then Madison came around, striking a pose. Finally, Carmen came down, standing between them, as they looked like Charlie's Angels.