Chapter 32: Kenneth

February 5th

I no longer had anything I really had to worry about when it came to school. I submitted all of my college and scholarship applications, and my final semester consisted of some easier classes where the finals wouldn't be too hard. I would find out what schools I got into in March, and I wasn't too worried about that either. 

Carmen and I didn't really talk that much, not ever since my birthday. She wasn't hostile towards me, and we talked as though we were acquaintances. We acted normal in front of people. It sucked but I started to get over it. I didn't really get over her, but I learned how to cope. 

I still hung out with Madison, who was dating cousin Alex officially. I still hung out with Riley, but I stopped going to strange raves in strange basements. I still worked at the Sagamore, but not as much this last semester because I wanted to enjoy more of it.

I was at the mall shopping with Riley for Gabriel's birthday. 

"He can never have enough makeup," I said. "Or accessories. Clothes we don't touch because he's too picky."

"Doesn't he do his own shopping with all your guys' money?" she asked, texting on her phone.

"Sometimes, but he doesn't have a car. He's too social too. He likes hanging out with people so if he's shopping then it's usually just with friends. Otherwise he's in the basement or at rehearsal. I could buy him stuff for weed."

"Like a pipe or bong?"

"He has a million pipes and a few bongs. I was thinking other, random stuff, if I can find any."

We went to a smoke shop where I bought him some random accessories, some of the stuff I didn't even know what it was. Then we went to an accessory shop and I bought him a purse in the shape of a pineapple. I bought Riley some earrings she liked too, because she didn't have a lot of money and I was a nice guy.

As we were eating in the food court, I got a text from Dad asking for me to call him. I did after I finished my burger.

"Hello," he said.

"Hey Dad," I said. "What's up?"

He sighed. "Well, your grandfather passed away."

"What? Your dad or Pop's dad?" I asked.

"Pop's dad," he said. "He went to sleep and just didn't wake up."

"Shit," I said, putting my head in my hand. 

We had just gotten through one funeral only a couple of days ago. First Pop's sister and now his dad? It was too much. 

"How's Pop?" I asked.

"He's very tired. Granny is staying in the house tonight. She might be staying with us for a little while, we're not sure yet. Granddad was a little different than Aunt Delphine since he was seventy-eight, but two funeral in a week is a lot, so we're all tired. But please be back to the house soon."

"Okay Dad. Are you okay?" 

"Yes," he said. "You know I don't like thinking about death but Pop needs me more than I need him."

"Okay, I love you."

"Love you too Ken," he said, his voice cracking. 

I hung up and put the phone down, wiping my face. 

"What's wrong?" Riley asked.

"My grandfather died," I said. "Pop's dad."

"Wow, Pop as in Pop who just lost his sister too?"

I nodded. "Yeah. I should head back soon."

"Okay, we can go back whenever. We can do whatever."

A few minutes later we were heading out. I dropped her off at her place and then drove back to the house. Granny was sitting in the den with Pop and Uncle Claude. Before Aunt Delphine's funeral I hadn't seen him or Aunt Axelle in a long time.