Chapter 64: Eve

March 16th

An unintentional modeling career took off for me. I was still in school and maintaining my studies. My career path wasn't going to change, but I didn't see a reason in not taking this opportunity. It was also fun, and I was helping Adrienne get into the business as well. Some designers were already very interested in her videography.

So we went to Paris for a fashion show put on by Rocky Rose, a nonbinary Afro-Latinx designer taking over Paris. I loved their work. It was very androgynous, but so delicate at the same time. Like flowers made of stone. 

We explored Paris the first couple of days, the typical tourist stuff. It was nice having Adrienne since she spoke French, but a lot of people spoke English as well. We met with Rocky on my birthday. I tried multiple outfits to try them out, practiced walking the runway, changing quickly, and so on. Eventually they took us to dinner with some of the other models and photographers. Since I turned eighteen it was legal to drink so we went to a bar afterwards as well. I took pictures, Snapchats, posted to my story. I was now the Jeff-Lane child with the most Instagram followers.

On the day of the fashion shoot, I was really looking forward to the after party. I loved walking the runway, but business was my end goal. So after the fashion show, I changed into a jumpsuit with a plunging neckline, blazer-like sleeves, and shoulder pads and mingled. My plan was to talk to some of the guests there who weren't exactly a part of the fashion industry, like Jonny Lee who owned a multi-million dollar he inherited from his mother. I was looking for business partners for Lafayette, Inc. 

And I did a good job of mingling and building relations. Who knew? At one point, I looked around the room for Adrienne. I wanted to introduce her to Jean Paul. I scanned the room, and then I saw her talking to someone. Adrienne was smiling at the person whose back was to me, but I recognized that backside anywhere. Long black hair cascaded down a short but full-figured body. 

Gloria.

I wasn't sure if I was going to run into her during my trip. I knew she was obviously involved in the fashion scene here in Paris, but it was a big scene and I avoided seeking an answer. When Adrienne caught me eye I quickly waved her over and then turned my back to her. A moment passed and she faced me.

"Come on, come meet Jean Paul Gaultier," I said smiling.

Her face lit up. "Oh my god, I would love to!"

I grabbed my cousin's hand and led her over to Jean Paul. As we walked I said, "That was my ex-girlfriend."

"Who? Gloria?"

"Yes, Gloria."

"Oh wow, I didn't even know. She didn't say anything," Adrienne said.

"What did she say?"

"Just that she loved my work and that she could introduce me to some of her instructors."

I rolled my eyes. "I wonder if she even knows you're my cousin."

"I don't know...you know...I was thinking something actually." She stopped me. "My father is a bad man, and right now I don't have a family except for you and your family."

"Our  family," I interjected.

She smiled. "Right. So I was actually thinking of taking my mother's maiden name," she said.

"You wanna be Adrienne Jeff?" I asked.

"Yeah. Adrienne Nally doesn't have quite the ring to it, and Nally is my father's last name. I don't want any association to him. Plus, you guys have just been so good to me. I've never felt like a part of a family until I came to you guys. What do you think? Is it stupid?"