Chapter 65: Gabriel

April 5th

For the past year, Abe's main focus was his musical (other than me of course). He worked on it all the time, day in and day out, staying up late into the night. Sometimes I secretly did his homework for him because I didn't want him to get behind. He was going to graduate in two months! He couldn't fail. In the fall, he pitched his musical to Aunt Alisha, and she helped him fill in the gaps on some parts. She told him that if it was complete by December, when we would begin with the spring musical, then we would do his musical. He finished, and we began auditions in December. I was only going to have a small role because I was actually in charge of choreography. 

The musical is about a Romani family in Hungary. A young man by the name of Camlo has bigger dreams than his tiny village, and when he finds out that the villagers are being vacated by the government as they "ethnic cleanse" the country, he sees this as an opportunity to run away to America. However, he soon realizes the importance of remembering his heritage and his home. It's a story of growth and family. He learns he can't run away from his problems. There's a scene where they fight back against the ethnic cleansers, but in the process Camlo's friend is killed. He wants to run away again, but knows he has to stand up for his family, community, and culture.

The thing that always gets to me is the mother. She only appears on stage during scenes when it's just Camlo. It's later revealed at the end of the musical, that the mother had been dead and that's why she only appeared when it was just him, because she was an angel coming down to comfort him and guide him. It makes me cry every time.

The music is honestly breath taking. Many of them pay tribute to traditional Romani music. Some of them are so fun that I've been singing them for months. Some are beautiful, some will make you cry, but they all really speak to Abe's music writing abilities. 

Aunt Alisha loved it. "You're truly a prodigy, Abe," she told him. "I'll have to show this to Clovis."

Opening night was April 5th. Abe was so nervous. "It's gonna be okay," I told him. "We've been rehearsing day in and day out. Everyone is committed to putting on the best performance. We're proud of you and this musical."

He nodded. "You're right," he said. He grabbed my hands. 

"But..."

"But what?"

"I'm telling this to you to give you a heads up. My uncle Clovis, he works on Broadway as you know, and he brought some of his friends."

"Friends," he said. "What friends?"

"Like...producers, directors, writers, actors, and so on." I shrugged. "It's just Aunt Alisha really hyped up your musical to Uncle Clovis so then he mentioned it to his friends and some are coming up to see it. This is a good thing!" I kissed him. "We're gonna kill it, okay?"

"We are."

Tamir played the narrator. He was a character that came onto the stage in the beginning and after every act. He delivered soliloquies so beautifully. It's the role he wanted, to finish off his senior year. 

Alyssa played Florica, who was Camlo's sister. It was actually kind of fitting because Alyssa had dark hair like Abe, so it was a good casting. Florica was the foil to Camlo, to show difference between how women and men are treated. She dreams of leaving the village too, but she knows she doesn't have the privilege. Abe felt this was important to add.

Kenneth helped with some of the music, and was even playing in the orchestra as extra credit for his class. Dean had been in L.A. for a long time, but knew how important this was to me and Abe. He even came back with some cool costumes for the show.

The first half was a bit more joyful and hopeful. During intermission, Uncle Clovis came up to me in the hallway behind the stage.

"Hi!" I cheered when I saw him, giving him a big hug. 

"This is a really great musical, Gabriel," he said. "Where is your boyfriend at?"

"I'm not sure, changing costumes probably."

"Well you should tell him that it's really good. He's a great actor, and these songs! The lyrics are very impressive."

"I'll be sure to tell him," I said. "What do your friends think?"

He smiled a smile that looked just like Pop's. "You'll meet them after."

"Okay!" I hugged him again and found Abe. He was sitting in a dressing room alone, something he did when performing. "Good news, babe," I said, sliding my hands along his shoulders.

"What's that?" he asked.

"Uncle Clovis loves the musical, and him and his friends are going to talk to us tomorrow." I sat on his lap and kissed him deeply. 

He put his hands on my hips, but didn't smile. 

"What's wrong?" I asked.

He sighed. "I'm just thinking about my mom a lot. Like, if she'd be proud."

"Of course she would! She'd be so proud. I know she'd be proud. She is proud."

He looked at me and smiled softly. "She'd love you."

I kissed him. "Well, I am very lovable."

He chuckled. "You're so arrogant, but cute." He kissed me and picked me up. "Let's go finish this thing."

And we did finish it. And everyone loved it. Dad cried, Aunt Alisha cried, Aunt Axelle cried. Everyone stood up at the end and applauded. Abe was last to walk on, and I brought flowers out to him. He was even a little emotional.

After the performance, we spent an hour receiving congratulations, flowers, praise. Finally, Uncle Clovis came up to us with his Broadway friends. There was Nick Kennard, a producer. Then Daisy Gail, an actress who just finished played the lead role in the latest Broadway hit, Venice Girls. Jorge Anuar, a writer. Then Madame Sir, this awesome nonbinary musician who wrote so many awesome songs for like twenty musicals. 

"That was phenomenal, Abe," said Nick. "Awesome, just awesome."

"I loved it. The complexities of race, gender, class were so well portrayed, and I think it's important to show the racism that takes place in Europe, it's often overshadowed," said Daisy.

"You have a cleverness in your writing too, that I greatly admire," Jorge said.

"And the lyrics and music! Amazing," said Madame.

They showered him in compliments. They were coming back the next day to watch again and take notes. 

We finally got to go home a few hours after the show ended. We went to my bedroom and showered, then climbed into bed. 

"That was amazing, Abe," I said. I gave him a kiss.

"It was. I'm so thankful for you, and everyone." He grabbed my hand. 

"What if they put it on Broadway? They seemed to really like it!"

"That would be...amazing, but scary," he said.

"Scary how?"

He squeezed my hand. "Well...Broadway is so big. I'm a small town guy. You always hear about these small town people losing themselves in big cities, in big businesses. I don't want to be like that. I'm afraid I would...I would lose you."

I grazed his cheek with my hand. "That wouldn't happen. For one thing, as a spoiled rich brat and someone who has lived in the city and been in a 'big' world, I'll make sure you won't lose yourself. Also, it's not all it's cracked out to be."

He smiled gently, then turned his head to kiss my fingers. "You're my person," he said. "I think we're meant to be."

"We are," I said. "I love you so much."

"I love you, too," he said. He kissed me. "I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

I moved closer and kissed him deeper. "I want that too."

He smiled between kissed. "Good," he said, then we made love and went to sleep.