Chapter 16: Dean

August 28th

Dr. Lovett was so smart. For my first independent study with her we went over the outline I wrote up. It talked about what I had at my hands (or would have, when I inherited the company), what my objective was, and why. 

"I know you're only a freshman," Dr. Lovett said. "But you can consider using this for your senior design project."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Most seniors have to take a senior capstone class, and in that class you create a senior design project, which is something that encompasses what you plan to do in the future and how your whole college career has led you to creating this. It only applies to some majors, but for you I think it would be the most obvious choice."

I nodded. "Cool, sounds like a plan."

"It's almost five, and a Friday. I'm certain you have plans going on."

I smirked. "I'm having a party at my townhouse. You are more than welcome to come."

She smirked too. I loved a good smirk. "I think being surrounded by eighteen-year-olds as they get drunk is not my cup of tea."

"Hey now, I'm nineteen," I said.

"Hm, big difference. I will see you Monday morning, Mr. Jeff-Lane."

I grabbed my backpack. "Have a good weekend Dr. Lovett."

She had a point. Dr. Lovett was a sophisticated woman. A house party was not something that would make sense for her. I wondered if I could invite her over for a casual evening, a casual house party with slow jazz playing and wine or champagne. I could do that. 

That night though, was a different story. I invited a few friends I had made in class and said they could bring whoever. I invited a few friends from high school that could come over. I had Emily and Gloria invite whoever they wanted. 

I locked the basement, the bedrooms on the third floor but left the living room open, the bedrooms on the fourth floor but left the outdoor patio open and library open, and then locked the entire fifth floor but let the patio on the roof open. 

We always had alcohol in the house and I had thrown parties before at the townhouse. By eleven at night the house was full, the music was loud, and people were getting drunk. A lot of people I didn't know but they wanted to know me. 

It felt so different though. I sat at the counter in the kitchen and people were all around me, talking. Girls had their hands on me, but it was almost as if I wasn't there. I looked around and the townhouse and could see all the small interactions. I saw Eve smile at Gloria over her shoulder as they went upstairs. Emily rolled her eyes as some guy leaned against a wall. My cousin Alex, Emily's older brother, was at the party playing beer pong. I didn't see him often anymore except for when I threw a party. 

I left the party and went downstairs into the basement. In the exercise room I had a locker where I kept clothes so I didn't always have to go up and down the stairs to change. Cassidy would deal with the laundry. 

The thing is though...I was kind of intoxicated.

Alcohol and exercise aren't really a good combination, but there I was, lifting weights. I didn't stretch either, hadn't drank any water. I wasn't even wearing shoes because upstairs I had been wearing a pair of boat shoes but didn't want to sweat them up and didn't have socks to put on my sneakers. 

I felt awful. I felt like I was going to throw up and pass out.

A few minutes later, as I was huddled over the trash can, the door opened.