Chapter 27: Kenneth

-

A/N: Dedicated to svega1234 because they always comment and show support! I appreciate it! 

-

October 23rd

Carmen and I weren't together but it did feel like a break up. And guys just didn't do break ups well, especially when they were the ones getting dumped. They tried too hard to show they don't care, they try to flirt as much as possible, they try to have a "fun" time because they totally didn't have fun with their ex, they tried to hook up with girls a lot, and just tried too damn hard.

Unfortunately, I went down that path.

After Carmen and I stopped talking to each other I just cried in my room, and the next day I started trying too hard. I always dressed well, usually casual but a little indie hipster. I started wearing shirts that looked better on me, sexier, letting my hair grow out, wearing nicer but not strong cologne. Girls did notice, and the first weekend after Carmen and I stopped talking I had sex with a girl in the marching band. Every weekend after that I had sex or just fooled around with a girl, practicing safe sex of course. I was being talked about more at school even though most of the girls I hooked up with weren't even from the school but the city. 

That weekend I had to work so I couldn't go to Gabriel's musical, but Carmen was going so it was fine. A girl named Riley worked there too as a server and she was into me. She was stereotypical in the sense that she was blonde, blue eyed, tan, fit, and a flirt. She sometimes acted ditsy but she realized I wasn't a douchebag who liked girls who weren't as smart as me.

"There's a party tonight," she said to me. "Billy is throwing it."

"Billy who?" I asked. People always assumed I knew who everyone was.

"Billy from economics."

"What kind of party? Like a real house party or a few people awkwardly stand around and drink in a basement party?" 

She laughed. "Neither. Your house is the only one that has real house parties. It will be in a basement but it won't be lame."

"How?"

"You'll just have to come and see." She smiled at me and walked away.

We got off work a little before eleven. She had been wearing leggings she wanted to wear to the party and then a crop top under her work blouse. I just wore my pants and threw on a button down I had in the car. I drove her to Billy's, who was always kind of a dumbass but I wanted to check it out. If it was boring I would just go to the party at my house.

We went into the basement and it was dark with a black light and a few LED lights flashing. It wasn't a house party or a boring party, like Riley said. It was like a small rave. Music was blaring and everyone was dancing, which was cool because I actually loved dancing and hated parties that didn't have dancing. A party like this I had never seen before. High school parties were always romanticized on TV unless you were a rich kid, like me. So this was new. And exciting.

The basement was really big but unfinished and not really a living area. But music played and everyone was dancing. Some people were sitting in a small room attached, talking or making out. Riley led me by the hand to a back corner, some guy putting a glowstick necklace around my neck. There was a fog machine but also a lot of people smoking, vaping, and lighting up. Riley stopped me with a group of people who were smoking a blunt. I occasionally smoked weed but not as much as other people in my family, mostly on weekends when I wanted to have fun.

I took a hit and passed it, asking Riley, "Is that laced with something?" 

"Yeah, it's laced with amphetamine," she said, smiling, bouncing to the music.