Chapter 60: Gabriel

October 31st

Having Dean back in the house was so awesome. When Kenneth and Carmen left I felt so lonely. Dad and Pop were home but it wasn't the same. They don't play video games or watch the same stuff I do. Granny Jeff was staying in the house ever since Granddad died, but she's become friends with Grandma and Grandpa Lane so half the time she's going out with them doing old people things. Aunt Axelle bought her own house in town and Mr. Flores unofficially moved in with her. He wouldn't admit he was living with her as he was still renting the house he had with Abe, but he was over there more than at Abe's house. I pretty much called it Abe's house because he was the only one there. Whenever we wanted some privacy we liked to go there. It was kind of cute. I redecorated a little bit actually because the house had been bare to begin with.

I convinced Dad and Pop to throw Kenneth a birthday party because I missed everyone. I hadn't seen my uncles in a while. I feel like I only saw Dad, Pop, and Dean, which wasn't bad but I'm just so full of love and love my family. 

Kenneth threw a rager at the townhouse on Saturday night, but his birthday was Sunday so him and Eve came down to Cornwall. Aunt Alisha and Uncle Clovis came. Granny, Grandma, Grandpa, Emilio, Michael, Alyssa, Tamir, Aunt Axelle, Mr. Flores, Uncle Claude and his girlfriend Melody, Micah, Jeremy, Alex, Emily, Jose, Eric, John, Owen, Liam, Marion, Carla, Marcus, Daniel, and of course Abe. We were one big happy family. I missed Carmen, but I knew she would be in touch with Kenneth.

It was a surprisingly warm so we all dressed up in costumes and used our large back patio to celebrate. I dressed in drag as Sandy from Grease and Abe was Danny. Alyssa was my pink lady Rizzo and Tamir was a t-bird. Everyone was dressed up. I took tons of photos because I just wanted to keep the moment.

The party went on for a few hours. Eventually we took a group photo. I actually posted it to social media and it was so popular, one of my most popular photos. People followed me because it was a cool way to look into the life of our family. People were interested.

The night came quickly. We had school the next day, but at about ten at night there was a knock on the door. Abe and I were sitting in the basement. I knew Dad and Pop probably didn't hear it because they were on the second floor. So Abe and I ran upstairs to answer.

A stunning woman was standing outside the door. "Hi..." I said.

"Hi," she replied. She looked scared. Her plump lips were shaking. She was looking at me like she knew me. "Is...is Granny here?"

That's when I recognized her. Adrienne. She was Aunt Delphine's daughter. The first time I had seen her was at Aunt Delphine's funeral. 

"Yeah, come in," I said.

She nodded, holding herself like she was cold. It looked like her car was parked out front. 

"Abe can you go get Granny?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'll be right back," he said.

I sat across from my cousin.

"I'm so sorry, what's your name again? Gabriel right?" she asked.

"Yeah, Gabriel. Adrienne, yes?"

"Yeah," she said sadly. I guess it was sad that cousins didn't recognize each other. 

"How's your brother?" I asked. 

This was a bad question to ask because she began crying. 

"Oh my god what's wrong?" 

"He's...he's..."

Granny came down the stairs. "Adrienne, what are you doing here sweetie?" She hugged Adrienne as soon as she saw her crying.