Chapter 52: Kenneth

July 5th

I felt pathetic for how much I missed Carmen, but I missed her. We talked on the phone often, video chatted a lot, but she was taking a four week winter class that started on July 7th, sort of like an internship, prepatory class or something. and then her actual semester (which was actually the school year's second semester) started on August 10th. My classes didn't start until August 17th, and I wasn't working or anything during the summer. I was bored and lonely.

I woke up the day after Dean's party, jerked off to the thought of Carmen, showered, and then went downstairs. I had started cooking more since I enjoyed it and had nothing better to do. Cassidy was sitting at the island, looking down at her phone. "Good morning," I said. 

"Morning," she mumbled.

I pulled out some eggs, cream cheese, and strawberries to make some crepes. As I was mixing the ingredients, I noticed Cassidy looking pretty glum. She rested her head on the island, but it didn't seem like she was hungover. I made a few crepes and put them in front of her.

"You okay?" I asked.

She sighed and grabbed her fork, stabbing the crepes. "No," she said. "But it's stupid. It's all stupid and it shouldn't be bothering me." She took a giant bite of her crepes.

"Is it...boy problems?" I didn't know what to say. 

"It's..." She swallowed her food. "It's your stupid brother."

I noticed that Dean had disappeared from the party last night, and Cassidy had too. I didn't think they had left together though, but maybe they actually had.

"Dean is stupid."

"I don't even know why I like him," she said. 

"Most girls say that about him."

"Do you know where he is?" she asked.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I woke up and he was gone. I figured he was just in his room or something but I looked at Snapchat and he's apparently flying somewhere."

"What? That's ridiculous. I mean, why would he do that?"

She threw her hands up. "I don't know. Because he's stupid. Like, all we did was hook up. I wouldn't have been surprised if he left to just go to his room but he's literally flying away."

"Sounds like he's just running away. He's a coward," I said.

She quickly finished eating her crepes.

"We should do something fun, to make you feel better. I could get out of the house too."

"What did you have in mind?" she asked.

I shrugged. "We could go shopping at my dad's store."

"I don't have money for that."

I smirked. "Neither do I, but we don't have to. It's my dad's store. He won't mind if we snag a few new outfits."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

We got ready and then took a cab down to the shop. Carla and Marion were out of the office since they were with Gloria at her study abroad for a few days. Cassidy went and looked around the private floor of clothing, most of it new clothing for the upcoming season. 

I figured it would be good to get some new clothes for the new school year. I tended to wear the same stuff and not care too much about my clothing choices, but Carmen had always say I needed to stop wearing the same jeans and t-shirts. She liked it when I wore plain t-shirts that fit my arms well. I had broad shoulders and strong biceps from marching band, but I do have to say that I needed to work on my pecs and abs. I had strong calves from marching band too, so I could also work on my thighs. 

After I returned to the states from visiting New York, I also started working out a little more. Between cooking and exercising, I kept myself busy. It was kind of fun to find ways to make healthy meals that would be good for working out too. I wanted to look good for when I next saw Carmen.

I got some new clothing and Cassidy got some too. After, we went to Starbucks and sat outside on the patio since it was pretty cool for a summer day.

"That made me feel a little better," she said.

"Good. I know it can be hard to like someone you don't want to like," I said.

She smiled at me sympathetically. "You mean...you and Carmen?"

I wasn't surprised she knew. I nodded. At this point, I think everyone knew except for Dean. I wasn't sure if Gabriel did, but he always smiled at us like Spongebob did when he asked "You like Krabby Patties don't you Squidward?" Eve knew, Alex knew. Maybe Emily even knew. Gloria did. I trusted them though. 

"When will you see her next?" Cassidy asked.

"I'm not sure. She's really busy. I mean, she was always involved with stuff and is already going to work or something. I'm hoping sooner than later, like maybe right before her classes, or maybe around my birthday at the latest."

We sipped on our drinks and glanced at our phones, not because we didn't have anything to say but because we were kids who understood the comfortable silence of looking at our phones. Carmen had texted me early in the morning that she was going on a hike with Clara, Lorena, and Lorena's nieces, who were Carmen's age and attending the same university.

She texted me again as I was sitting with Cassidy, "I just got back from my hike and Dean is asleep in my bed. Why tf is he here?"

"Oh my god," I said.

"What?" Cassidy asked.

"Dean is visiting Carmen."

"What?" she asked again, but angrier. 

"That's what Carmen said. He must have used a private jet or something, those flights can be long, except for when we used our private planes."

"Why would he go there?"

I shook my head. "He's dramatic as fuck."

She shook her head too. "I mean...what did I do?" she asked.

"It's not your fault," I said. "I promise you it's not because of you. It's all him." I grabbed her hand when I saw her eyes welling. "Look, Dean doesn't do well with emotions or feelings or relationships. If anything, maybe he likes you so much he got scared."

"That doesn't make me feel better. I wish I didn't like him, then I wouldn't care."

I frowned. I squeezed her hand and then let go. "Maybe you should go visit your family or something. It might help."

She sighed. "I could talk to my mom."

"I'll pay."

She grimaced a smile. "Thanks Kenneth. I appreciate it."

"No problem."

A few hours later I was lying in bed, Facetiming Carmen. She was telling me about her hike and how nice Cloe and Luzia, the nieces, were. She said she was excited to start her internship class and that she had already talked to some people in a discussion board. She asked what I had been up and I told her about Dean and Cassidy. We talked until we both ended up falling asleep. I dreamed about her, and every night she was gone too.