Chapter 6: Dean

August 17th

It was nine in the morning when my alarm went off. It was the first day of school of my freshman year of college. Since I was living in the townhouse I didn't have to move that much stuff into my room in the townhouse, relieving the whole "college move in day" experience. 

Our house in our hometown was a modest house. Pop had it built right after they got married, close to Dad's family. It was two stories tall with a basement, six bedrooms and five bathrooms, a large yard and one balcony. It's a really nice house but I say it's modest when comparing it to the townhouse.

The townhouse was one of the first expensive things Pop bought. He bought it a few years after starting the business when he was making millions. He had to make millions to buy it because at the time it cost $25 million. It was five stories tall and had a basement as well. The first floor had one of those extravagant foyers with the spiral staircase. That's where the kitchen and dining room were with two bathrooms. The dining room could seat sixteen people and there was also a parlor used for parties. The second floor had two guest bedrooms that shared one bathroom. The media room was also on the second floor. The third floor had three bedrooms with four bathrooms along with a living room. The fourth floor had two bedrooms and one shared bathroom along with an outdoor patio area and then a library. The fifth floor was just the master bedroom and master bath along with Pop's office. Then there was a patio on the roof as well. The basement had the exercise room and wine cellar. The townhouse had an elevator too. Ours was extravagantly designed and always had been. You could always tell which one was ours because it was white with a red front door. 

The third floor is where my room, Gabriel's room, and Eve's room were. Carmen's room and Kenneth's room were on the fourth floor. Dad and Pop had the master on the fifth floor. We always let family and friends come into the townhouse. Pretty much all of our family had keys to place, along with any of our family friends. I planned on having many parties during my college career. 

On my first day of school, Dad and Pop cooked me breakfast. They stayed the night in the townhouse because Dad wanted to be there on my first day. No other college kid ever really had their parents with them on the first day unless they lived with their parents and commuted to school. I wanted my parents there but in reality it was for Dad's sake.

I went downstairs to see a homestyle breakfast being cooked; eggs, bacon, toast, hashbrowns, orange juice. "Morning," I greeted.

"Morning peanut," Dad greeted, pulling toast out of the toaster as Pop cooked the eggs. 

Gloria was sitting at the breakfast bar. "When's your first class?" she asked.

"11:30. When's yours?"

"I had one at 7:30 this morning. It was awful."

"Where's Emily?"

"She has a class at 9:30 so she's on her way there."

"How do you like your dorms?"

"They're amazing," she said, clapping her hands. "Emily and I went very extra on everything. We got like fake wallpaper that you can just peel off, fake tiles for the bathroom, matching stuff. We got huge carpets to put down in the bedrooms so we wouldn't have to walk on tile. It's so extra but so great. You'll have to come see it."

"I'm not surprised it's extra. I'm just glad I get this place to myself," I said, pouring coffee into the pot.

"I wouldn't be so sure about that," Dad said, turning to me.

"What do you mean?"

He sighed. "Well, Eve has been very adamant on attending the Dalton School."

"What's that?" I sipped on my coffee.