Chapter 57: Kenneth

September 1st

It was weird being in the townhouse. Carmen wasn't there, so it was strange not being able to see her in her room, sharing a bathroom with her. I wasn't living in the house, so it was weird not having Dad and Pop close by. Cassidy had moved out and started living with Emily since Gloria was going to be gone for a year. The weirdest part was not having Dean in the townhouse. 

People kept asking me if I was going to have a party, where was Dean, did he remember them? It was only Eve and I in the house, and she was busy often. She was taking eighteen credit hours. I kept it easy by taking fifteen. 

College was great. I didn't have to wake up as early, my classes were interesting, and I loved being in a jazz band. Madison had gotten into Columbia School of Medicine, so she was pretty busy as well, but she visited the townhouse often just to study. Riley had moved into the city with her dad but hadn't planned on going to a big university. She wasn't sure what she wanted to do with her life, and felt bad for it, but I told her it was totally fine to not know. So she was working at a restaurant where she wore tiny tops and short shorts, but she liked it. Madison and I would be studying in the townhouse, and when she got off she would bring us food. Alex often came over with Madison too, and we just studied.

They were over a lot actually, and Riley often stayed the night, which I didn't mind. Her dad was a good guy, but his girlfriend bossed Riley around. They weren't at the apartment often when she was there, but she still didn't like spending her time there.

Eventually, people convinced me to throw a party. 

I liked parties. I liked getting a little tipsy, dancing, having fun, forgetting about everything wrong. I decided to throw one for Labor Day, but didn't want to have just any party. I created an event on Facebook and specified that the theme was 90's, and that it would be best to channel your inner Friends character, pull out your overalls, and get ready for only 90's music. 

Everyone loved the idea, and followed through with it. Madison channeled Missy Elliott, Riley looked like Rachel Green, Alex looked awful but great in baggy and long jean shorts and a flannel. Everyone looked great, and it was a fun time. I invited people from my classes, new friends. It was fun.

People kept wanting to be next to me, take pictures with me on Snapchat or Instagram. It was weird to replace Dean. I wondered how he was, hopefully better. Replacing Dean also meant getting relentlessly hit on, but I turned all of them down. 

Emily showed up, looking like Madonna. Cassidy was with her as well, looking like a member of TLC. Eve arrived with her friends, the place was happening, and I wished Carmen could've been there.

I went upstairs to my room and Facetimed her.

Her face lit up on the screen. She looked beautiful. She was glowing. 

"What are you up to?" she asked.

"Throwing a party," I said. "Got a little bored."

"I can't be that much more exciting."

"Trust me, you are."

She smiled softly through the blurry screen, or maybe my vision was just a little blurry. "I'm tired," she said.

"Do you want to go to sleep? I can hung up," I said, even though I wanted to keep talking to her.

"No, you don't have to. I wish you were just here. It's lonely in my bed without you."

"It's lonely in mine, too."

We stayed quiet for a few minutes, she kept nodding off as I watched her. She looked so beautiful, but stressed too. I didn't notice it until she was sleeping, and I assumed it was just from school. She always worked harder than me, she probably had a lot on her plate. I hung up so she could sleep, and went back down to the party.

Riley came up to me. "Kenny I think I found my calling," she said.

"And what is that?" I asked. 

"I want to be a burlesque dancer. I've been doing some stripping on the side and it's cool, but this woman came up to me and said I should check out burlesque. I mean, it's classier than stripping, like stripping is for the person watching, but burlesque is an experience."

"I mean, that would be hot."

"Like, I did ballet for a long time you know, so I know how to work my body. There's a school of burlesque here in the city."

I nodded. "Sounds like a plan."

She shoved my shoulder. "I'm being serious! I've never really known what I wanted, but it feels like my calling."

"Y'all need to quit flirting," Madison said, coming up to us. "Kenny, this party is so much more fun than Dean's. Where is he anyway?"

"He's at my parents' house, taking a mental health break," I said.

"How come I've never had sex with him?" Riley asked. "I've had sex with like everyone."

"It might make him feel better to get laid," Madison said.

"Nah, he's dick sorry over Cassidy."

"What about me?"

I spun around to come face to face with Cassidy. "Uh...nothing."

"Kenny was saying that Dean is dick sorry over you," Riley said.

"Riley, jesus."

"What does that even mean?" Cassidy said. "And I heard from Eve that he's taking a mental health break." She shrugged. "He needs it."

"Well, Cass, if you're interested, my cousin is single."

Cassidy put up her hands. "I think I'm taking a break from men for a while."

"That sounds smart," I said. "Everyone should just take breaks, from like everything and everyone."

"Y'all are too much, especially you Jeff-Lanes."

"We get it from my dads."