Chapter 11: Dean

August 24th

When I planned on moving into the townhouse for college, I was excited to have the place to myself. Then they said Eve was moving in. Then they said some maid was moving in. I didn't mean to be resentful...but damn.

Eve moved in the first weekend after the first week of classes. Her first day was the 24th so Dad and Pop came in and helped her move in, stayed the night, made breakfast, and so on. So on the Monday after my first day, it was the same thing all over again.

I went downstairs and Dad and Pop were cooking. Gloria was sitting at the counter eating but this time Eve was there. She looked different and I didn't get it but I didn't ask. Yes, it was cool to have my family there, but it had only been a week. 

"Well, I'm off to school," Eve said, hugging Dad and Pop.

"You know how to get there alright and everything?" Pop asked.

"Maybe we should hire a chauffeur," Dad said.

"Why, so someone else can move in?" I asked.

"Lose the attitude," Dad said.

"I'm just saying. When is this maid going to move in? Classes have started, what's she doing?"

Dad put his hands on his hips. "Dean, she's moving in today and she will be living in the room in the basement. She's a nice girl and if you give her any shit then I'll just move my own ass into here too."

"Okay, I'm just-"

"I don't care what you're just, she is a recipient of one of our new scholarships that includes housing costs and work study. She's living in this house for free, has a meal plan that's paid for, and has all of her tuition covered because she agreed to do her work study as a housekeeper. I love her and adore her and-"

"So why don't you adopt her?"

"Dean," Pop said. "It's too early for your attitude."

"Sorry, it's genetic."

"Yeah, when I adopt her I'll gladly disown your ass," Dad said, moving past me to hug Eve again. 

"I'll help her get to Dalton, don't worry," Gloria said.

The three of them left and Pop put dishes in the sink, loudly. When he was done he shook his head at me and walked past me.

I didn't like being a jerk. A brat. I didn't know why I would get like that. 

I'll gladly disown your ass.

Dad hated me. I knew he did. I loved my fathers and I loved Dad but I knew he regretted having me as a son. Because I was a bad son. 

I threw my cup of water in the sink. It was plastic so it didn't break, but it made a loud crash. I grabbed the side of the sink, swallowing the lump in my throat.

"Uh...hello?"

I turned around to the voice coming from behind me. A short black girl with big hair and big eyes stood in the doorway of the kitchen. She had a few bags with her. "Your room is in the basement," I said.

She raised a brow at me. "Hi, I'm Cassidy," she said, not taking my shit. "Cassidy Woods. I might be black but I'm not your slave. I know your dads well enough to know they raised you better than to talk to me like that."

What was it with women putting me in my place lately?

"I'm Dean."

"I know."

"Basement."

"Where is that?"

I pointed to the door at the side of the room. She gave me side eye as she went to the basement. I kept clutching the sink, breathing heavily. When I heard Dad and Pop coming back into the kitchen I turned around, grabbing the cup and filling it again, trying to act normal.