Chapter 4

Lily's P.O.V

"Please tell me we're almost there. This car is beginning to smell like feet."

"We are, only a couple more miles."

"That's what you said last time." I whined like a child. Being trapped in a car for almost 15 hours was not my idea of fun. All for some trip I was sure I wasn't going to enjoy.

"Would you like a snack?" Amber asked, rolling her eyes slightly. I ignored it and nodded eagerly. She reached back and pulled out a bag of chips.

I opened the bag as soon as it touched my hand and crunched down on the flavorful snack.

"You're a genius, Am."

"I know, I know, someone has to be the smart one."

"Does that make me the pretty one?" I countered with a smirk.

"Whatever." Am mumbled, grabbing two chips from the bag. "Look! Dohage two miles away. That's where my family lives."

"Dohage?"

"Yep, population one hundred and fifty. I bet it's grown since then. I can't wait to see all my friends from the good ol' diaper days."

"You promised me country boys."

"You'll get your country boy, just be patient."

I couldn't be patient. The anxiety was eating at me and I couldn't keep still. I was going to a completely new place, with new people, and new ways of life. I didn't know how to raise cows and milk them.

"Don't worry Lil, you'll be fine."

"Fine? They aren't going to ask me to chase chickens or something right?"

"That's always a possibility." Amber shrugged. She was teasing.

"This is no time to joke Am. I could be putting my life and reputation in danger by coming here."

Amber rolled her eyes. "You're a city girl if I've ever seen one."

"Proud of it." I folded my arms as Amber continued down the never ending road. My eyes began to feel heavy, but didn't stay that way to long when I saw the small town we were coming on.

We passed a small gas station where an old grey truck was filling up. The man pumping the gas looked like some rare ancient fossil. Thin, white hair sprinkled over his head and brown eyes that only showed when he looked and gave a toothless smile.

"That's Old Man Henson. He's nearly a hundred and he's never lived anywhere besides Dohage."

"A hundred, he looks past a hundred to me."

"Awww, he must have forgot his wrinkle cream." Amber teased. She seemed to be forgetting she was just as much city as me.

"Ridicule me all you want, I'm a city girl, it's in my blood. I was born a city girl and I will die one."

"And nothing can make you change your mind?" Amber smirked.

"Nothing."

"Mmhmm." Was all she said and in the most suspicious of tones. What did she have up her sleeves?

Amber parked the car in a long dirt drive way. At the end sat a pretty little red barn with stairs leading up to the front door.

On the porch sat two rocking chairs and a swinging chair. Amber admired the scenery and I scoffed. That house didn't look like it could fit two people let alone me, Amber, and the rest of her family.

"Ma! Pa!" Amber called and no sooner did two people come up on horses. A man and a woman who both had an undeniable similarity to Amber. For one they were both short with blonde hair.

The woman looked to be about fifty and the man looked to be a little older. They shared the same grey eyes though Amber's were blue.

"I was just about ridin Poppy."

"You tamed her daddy? Bout time." It fascinated me how Amber's accent had just changed.

"Sure did sweety, where's your friend?"

I took a deep breath and heaved myself out of the car.

"Here." I stated walking up to stand besides Amber.

"This is Lily, my best friend and the reason I stayed in New York."

"It's a pleasure Lily." Her father shook my hand roughly while her mother pulled me in for a hug.

"Jackson went off to Caelum's a while ago."

"How is Cae?"

"He's good, big ol' house and nobody to stay in it."

"His ma and pa left it to him?"

"Nope, he made it big back in Texas and decided to move back home and spend some of those earnings."

"Nice of him." Amber said, but her mind seemed to be wondering. Thinking about something else. "You sure you have enough room for all of us daddy?"

"I was thinkin your friend could stay with Caelum."

"Caelum?" I repeated.

"He lives about two hours out, he'll be here for dinner. You can ride back with him then."

The middle of nowhere. With a man I barely know. Two hours away from possible help. Yep, he's a serial killer.