Chapter 5

Lily's P.O.V

I hadn't been here three hours and I already had been recruited by Amber's mother, Jenny, to help in kitchen. I didn't actually do much, I just watched as Amber and Jenny shared their mother and daughter. Jealousy bit at my heart as I thought about me and my own mother's experiences.

They were mostly argument based and I can't remember the last time we said I love you. I do remember storming out at Christmas dinner when my mother decided to marry my step-father Joshua. I cringed at the name. He was a lawyer, businessman, and small time politician. He was also the most scandalous human being alive who kissed his 'ex' girlfriend in public.

He told my mother he was threw with that life and that he found God. More like he found someone he could be sneakier with. It broke my heart to see my mother with that man. A man that didn't appreciate her and only wanted her body.

"Lily." Jenny said, snapping me from my thoughts.

"Yes ma'am?"

"You wanna start on the rice."

Hell no, was what went through my mind, but I sighed and poured some rice into a bowl. After giving it a clean, I placed it on a pot and let it cook.

"So Lily, where you from?"

"Born and raised in New York."

"Can't be much fun, traffic and all that."

"You get use to it and eventually it gets kind of fun."

"Ha, fun, that's a good one." Amber's father, Matt, said walking through the door. "I've never heard New York and fun in the same sentence."

"You've been talking to the wrong people." I snapped and then shook my head apologetically. "Sorry, I guess I have a little to much pride in my city."

"Nothing wrong with being proud of your city, I couldn't be more proud of Dohage."

"How did this little town pop up on the map?" I questioned.

"Funny you should ask-"

"Hey! Where's Amber!" Came a loud voice from the living room.

"In here!" Jenny yelled back and the doors bust open. I happened to be standing in front of the door and got a good knocking.

"Sorry." The boy said quickly. He had to be Amber's brother. "Jackson Clay, but you can call my Jack." He held out his firm hand.

He was tall, at least six one or two. He had brown hair and blue-green eyes. His shirt was white with the sleeves cut off and he had on Wrangler jeans.

"Lily." I shook his hand and he pulled me next to his chest. It was incredibly firm and smelled of perfume. I wasn't attracted to him though, he looked much more immature than I wanted.

"A. M, what is up?" He wrapped his arms around Amber and pulled her into his chest. This family was complete polar opposites. Amber was rarely a hugger and her family couldn't stop hugging. Amber was incredibly shy and her family seemed pretty outgoing.

"Is Caelum coming for dinner?"

"Yeah, I didn't tell him about A. M's guest though, forgot."

"You did well for what you did son." Matt patted Jack's back and smiled up his son. Pride in his family radiated from every inch of him.

"Where's Sam?"

"Out, with her new boyfriend."

"Lemme guess, drug dealer, stripper, criminal, ex-criminal, rockstar-"

"Actually he's an exchange student from London. She's 'in love' with him."

"Yeah right, she's in love with every boy that buys her chocolate and kisses her when she wakes up."

"Well, she's still your sister and our daughter and we have to let her go and grow."

Amber sighed and went back to chopping vegetables. There was a hard knock on the door.

"Looks like our guest is here. Lily can you answer the door please."

I walked out of the kitchen and down a narrow hallway and pulled back on the door to see the most handsome creature I've ever laid eyes on.

Brown hair, grey eyes, and a beautiful tan. His red and white plaid shirt highlighted his perfectly built muscles and again he had on Wrangler jeans. Most of all, he looked pissed.

"Is Jenny here." He growled.