Chapter 17

Caelum's P.O.V

It had only been a few hours since me and Lily had made that confession of love. I hadn't actually meant to say it, it just came out. It was comforting to know she felt the same though.

My mind couldn't concentrate on that though I could only think about how she would be leaving soon. I didn't want to beg, but I couldn't let her go.

As we rode in the car towards Amber's house, my mind was eating at my heart. I had to tell her.

"What's wrong Cae?" She asked and I tiredly to hide my look of surprise behind a smile. It didn't work and she raised an eyebrow in my direction.

"You can't leave."

"Excuse me?"

"If you leave, I'll never be able to do anything ever again. I love you Lily and it hurts to think we'll be thousands of miles apart."

She sighed, "Do you know how many long distance relationships there are in the world?"

"Do you know how many of those last?" i countered.

"How about you move to New York?"

"No, hell no, I was born and raised in the country."

"If you aren't willing to change, then why should I?"

"We both have to make sacrifices."

"What sacrifices are you making if we stay here?"

"My reputation."

"Oh, you don't think I'm good enough for your reputation."

"Babe, you know that's not what I meant."

I didn't mean she was bad for my reputation, I meant that the reputation about city folk would fall on me.

"Whatever Caelum."

"Baby please."

"Cae, I love you and I don't want to leave you, but you will never understand."

"Understand what?"

"I don't want forty acres and a mule. I don't want to live in a place where it takes two hours just to get into town. I don't want that for myself or for possible children."

"You don't want this life?" I asked my voice cracking with pain. I didn't want to lose her.

"No, Cae, I don't."

"So where does that leave us?"

"Honestly? I don't know. I want you and that's all I can say for the future."

"Do you think we can work it out?"

"A county boy and a bred city girl? I doubt it."

"Are we breaking up?"

"Please say no to that, I love you and I really don't want to break up with you."

"Do we have a choice? If we are both not willing to compromise, then there is no relationship."

"I think you're right Cae."

"Promise me you won't find another guy."

She laughed, "promise me you won't find another girl."

I kissed for a second and though we both wanted it to be something more, we realized that we were both to stubborn to compromise.

____________

I parked in front of Amber's house. Everyone was inside for dinner. Lily started to get out, but I grabbed her hand.

We looked at each other for a moment before locking lips. I pulled her to the driver's side and sat her in my lap while keeping our lips connected.

She ran a hand through my hair and I kissed down her neck. I took a deep breath and started to undo her shirt.

I popped every button the blouse and kissed down her breast line.

"We were fools."

"For what?" I asked while kissing just about her belly button.

"For thinking we could end this."

Lily fell into my arms and her foot hit the steering wheel triggering the alarm.

Embarrassment washed over her face as everyone came to the door to see a shirtless Lily and a flushed me.

Amber looked at Lily and smiled with a smirk. Lily gave her the finger and I laughed.

"You owe me big time." She said while reapplying her shirt.

"I'll be happy to." I commented smacking her butt a little.

She smiled and laughed and we continued into the house for dinner.