Ch.9 - The Accident

Alfred felt his headache intensify. He knew whatever national event that caused his sudden illness was not completely over. The after effects still shook throughout his body. "What happened nationally?" He asked plainly to the Virginia.

It was Massachusetts who answered America's question. It had become a regular occurrence that whenever Alfred was effected physically it was because at least one of his states had been dealt a blow. "There was a rather large earthquake in California. Many people died and the entire state is in a 'state' of emergency. We are trying to assist wherever we can." The answer was to the point and efficient.

Alfred's eyes widened slightly and he felt a need to protect his son California. The boy often had to deal with earthquakes and other repercussions of such events. America knew, although California had his defiant moments, in the end they were still family.

America's mind was a blurry mess.
"How bad was it this time?" His voice never wavered and his eyes seemed to stay strong. Virginia then spoke up. "The earthquake itself was a disaster, however it started several problems along the coastline. Also several related events caused two minor forest fires. California is in rough shape, but nothing has ever put him out for the count."

The answer did little to relieve the parental concern that Alfred was currently feeling. His heart seemed to ache and his emotions ran wild. Although outside his body didn't show the internal war he was waging.

"Cali iz azleep." Georgia said in a timid voice. Her gut feeling was that her dad was more concerned with California than he was about himself. Alfred smiled and his shoulders subconsciously relaxed. "If he's asleep that means he's healing." He thought to himself in reassurance.

"Virginia and Massachusetts, please get Delaware and the three of you organize a 50 NS (50 national states) meeting." America's voice was serious and he seems determined to do what he had to.

The states when unified got things done effectively, but it took bold leadership in order for that to be reality. This is why most of the time, Alfred was tired by the time the world meetings came around.

Unlike popular belief among the various nations he wasn't lazy. It takes a lot to raise fifty kids and foster a few colonies.

Virginia and Massachusetts sprung into action and left to go retrieve their brother Delaware. On their way walking down the hallway the brothers broke into conversation.

"Have you ever considered growing hair on your face? I've seen you with a shadow once. Why keep it cut so clean?" Massachusetts asked Virginia as the two continued to march on. The British state sighed. "If you want to try to grow a scruffy beard, have fun with that." His voice chimed with slight disapproval." Massachusetts smirked. "Don't let Pennsylvania hear you say that. He's been trying for a decade to grow an ounce of facial hair." With this statement Virginia laughed under his breath.

Massachusetts always knew how to get his brother to laugh, despite his odd sense of humor. The duo finally reached the downstairs home phone. The landline phone was old, but effective for the large families needs. Someone was almost always home to answer it.

The reason they didn't use their cellphones was the fact that their phones were in their rooms. Unlike most people, the states don't die without the constant company of a phone. A few states, however are a work in progress.

While Virginia dialed Delaware's phone number Massachusetts caught a glimpse of Maryland. The quiet and reserved state made his way into the kitchen. Massachusetts then decided to go and join him.

Maryland was currently heating some water in a kettle. "Making some tea?" Massachusetts's voice startled him. "Yeah, I am making some green tea." His voice was soft and his blond hair kept falling in front of his emerald green eyes.

Massachusetts smiled and walked to stand beside his shorter brother. "Can I have some?" The request was noted and Maryland set out an extra cup.

In the distance they could hear Virginia speaking to Delaware on the phone.

"Is dad doing better?" Maryland asked with a voice of concern. Massachusetts gave him a reassuring nod as if to tell him not to worry.

"I need to go out and buy some more tea." Maryland said softly. Massachusetts hummed a response and the two brothers stood their drinking hot green tea.

After a while Virginia came into the kitchen and started to talk to Massachusetts about the situation. Maryland needing to go shopping and therefore left the room.

After getting ready Maryland walked out the front door. The day was cloudy and it looked like it might rain.

His shaggy blond hair swayed over his eyes in waves. The shorter parts were almost like ringlet curls.

He finally decided to walk to the store. The cooler breeze actually felt nice to him. Walking along the sidewalk the people buzzed by.

When he entered the store the crowds seemed to linger outside. Thunder sounded overhead and it started to rain. It didn't just sprinkle, it poured down like hail.

Maryland sighed and was thankful to have thought to bring an umbrella. Making his way towards the back of the store something caught his eye.
His body froze and his heartbeat quickened.

"This will do for dinner. Non?"

"The awesome me says yes!"

"Amigo, wouldn't a tomato be better for that part of the dish?"

"Where is-a the pasta?"

"Nien..."

There were various nation in the large store. No one payed and mind to him though and as long as he didn't make physical contact he was safe. Turning to leave someone shouted at him.

"Hey! Eng-Arthur!" Maryland ignored the persons mistake. He did, however look like England more than any other state. In fact his face was a very similar to England's younger self.

"Just ignore them and they will g-" Someone had grabbed his shoulder and spun him around to face them.

He was face to face with Spain. The Spanish nation's eyes widened when he realized that this wasn't England.

It was too late and Spain could already tell that Maryland wasn't human. Before Spain could say anything Maryland pushed him away. The boy then took off leaving his items and dashed for the door.

Instead of just escaping he ran into the vary nation he had been mistaken for.

Their eyes met.
Green to Green.
Identical in every detail.

England was left speechless.
"I'm sorry sir I didn't mean to bump into you..." Maryland then took off through the rain. Leaving behind him an awestruck Spain and England.

With these events something huge was thrown into place. It was all through a simple Accident.