Ch.22 - Magic and Roses

What makes up a family? Is it love? Perhaps bonds that are unseen within our souls? These strings of fate that connect everyone. Lies it's all lies. At least that's how some people feel.

D.C. walked down the hallway late at night. In her fist was a crumpled letter. The look in her eyes was twisted with various emotions. She made her way to her room and closed the door. With a frustrated sigh, she turned the lock and collapsed onto her bed.

The letter made her blood run cold yet at the same time burn with anger. The thought that everything they were working so hard to create could be destroyed made her want to cry frustrated tears.

Her phone interrupted her silent melt down. D.C. glanced at the caller ID and decided to answer. She couldn't help it as a smile laced her lips at the sound of the other person's voice.

"Hey, Juliette you alright?" She asked. The girl on the other end of the phone hummed a "yes." D.C. felt herself relax at the sound of her voice.

"I wish it wasn't crazy here. I want to see you, but I know we would get caught if you came to see me." D.C. commented. "I miss you too." Juliette said bittersweetly.

"If you ever need anything I'll be there before you can say Oui." D.C. listened as the girl laughed lighthearted at her joke. Her own heart fluttered at the sound.

A noise in the background from the other side of the phone made D.C. sit up with worry apparent in her eyes. "Everything alright?" She asked.

"The others are just arriving I'm fine." Juliette answered, D.C. calmed down a bit at her words. "You know we capitals have to stick together even if we are in hiding." Juliette joked to try to lighten the already more serious bittersweet mood.

D.C. sighed and then responded. "I know, just stay safe. Je t'aime." D.C. felt her cheeks dust a pink shade as the words left her lips so naturally. The girl on the other end of the phone blushed and they both ended the call.

D.C. knew the price she had paid to get where she was. She had to hide away her heart to keep the one she had given it to safe. However, sometimes late at night, she would cry because of everything. She would break down under the blanket of darkness. The truth of her situation was written on that letter she held so tight with fear and anger.

~~~~~
I know the truth.
I know what you did to get the magic you have.
You call yourself a sub-nation, but you lie.
You lie to everyone even your so called father, America.
Before the month is over someone will burn, just like last time.
Do you think they will save any of you once they know the truth?
~~~~~

The letter was short and simple, but ripped into her heart. However, a spark of defiance kept her going. She would fight for herself, for her family, for her love, and for everything she held dearly until her last breath.

The next morning D.C. took the letter to America. Too many times people had burdened themselves needlessly by not coming forward for help out of fear.

Alfred smiles as he glanced over the paper. "They don't know that I know the truth then?" He commented and D.C. nodded. Alfred had known the truth about her from the beginning.

"The magic that I taught you isn't a curse you know." Alfred commented as he glanced at his capital. She nodded understand what he meant. However, her new power came at a price as all power does.

There was a darkness looming over the North American family. A darkness they tried and were so far succeeding at hiding. Unlike England or the other magic using nations, America's magic had something rather cold about it.