Ch.21 - Blood Ties and Graves

America paced back and forth in his office. He took several deep breaths and refrained from punching the wall. He refused to lose another child like what had happened once in the past.

This time he could do something unlike before. He had lost so much and still couldn't protect his family. Over the last several weeks he had been trying to control his temper when it came to just letting his states meet the other nations.

He knew Canada was in the same situation he was in. However for Alfred the situation seemed worse, because, several pages from his journal were missing. Yep missing, just like how his son, Hawaii remained out of sight.

The detail about these events that unnerved him was that the other nations had said that he had left his bag at the last meeting when he rushed out. He knew for certain that he never attended one of those meetings that week. He had been unconscious in bed.

He did ask a few of his states and they all said the same thin, agreeing with him about his absence. It were as if someone planted his bag in the meeting room and attended those meetings, successfully pretending to be him. He hadn't attended any meetings since last month. He pondered these facts. "This reminds me of when-" His thoughts were interrupted.

A gentle knock caught him somewhat off guard. Alfred straighten his appearance and took yet another deep breath. "Come in." He called to whoever was at the door. California quietly opened the door. "Do you have a moment dad?" California's gray eyes met Alfred's.

"I always have time. Come in and take a seat." America responded and they both sat down. "How are you feeling? Have you healed properly?" Alfred often had concerns about his states and their health was almost always on his mind. California had just had an earthquake and a series of wildfires so it was natural for America to be further protective of him.

"The others have helped a lot and I've actually healed a lot faster this time." California replied to his father. "I actually wanted to ask you about something else." California shifted a bit in his seat.

Alfred gave the boy a kind and gentle look and it seemed to make the state relax. "Why haven't you punished the other nations for what they did to Georgia?" California asked.

Alfred was surprised that California alone had brought this subject to the table. Then the second culprit of this situation came to mind. Alfred confirmed his suspicions when he caught a glimpse of blond hair hiding outside his office. "You can come in now and join us Texas." Alfred called to his other son.

Texas shuffled into the room and sat next to his brother. Before either boy could speak Alfred spoke. "The reason I haven't reacted in a forceful way towards the situation that happened to Georgia is a bit complicated." Alfred tried to think of how to explain it to these two. He knew it was a delicate task and his sons were no strangers to the suffering a full fledged nation could inflict on sub-nations.

However, before he could continue, a voice added to the conversation. "Dad, I hate to interrupt, but Delaware and Oklahoma caught Hawaii, again." Nevada spoke from the doorway. Alfred sighed and apologized to Texas and California. "We will finish this conversation later, I promise." America reassured them and then went and followed Nevada.

The state glanced back at her father and her blue eyes seemed clouded. Alfred caught onto what might be on his daughter's mind. "Your going to meet Turkey and Greece tomorrow right?" Alfred spoke in a lighthearted mood. The girl nodded without saying a word. "You don't need to be worried, Shali they are going to love you." Alfred ruffled his state's brown hair making her smile.

"Saskatchewan arrived from uncle Canada's house this afternoon to meet Mr. Russia." Shali commented feeling better about her meeting. Alfred hummed in reply. Ivan had been unusually happy and his smiles seemed real ever since he had met the Alaskan twins. He hoped that the situation with Canada's province also went well, like it had for his two state personifications.