Ch.17 - A Long Night

(PLAY THE MUSIC NOW)

America's dream

--------

"Alfie?"

Alfred heard a voice call his name like the way a summer breeze grace's one's skin.

He knew that voice. He longed to hear that voice. Now she was calling his name in a childish manner from the past.

Turning around his blue eyes met gray ones. His eyes narrowed then widened and became watery a bit as he remembered how beautiful she was.

Memories failed do due her justice as she stood there before him. Her long brown hair fell like a silhouette down her smaller frame. The way her freckles scattered over her skin made his heart skip a beat.

"Are you coming Alfie?" Her voice was so lighthearted as she motioned for him to come to her.

Around him shaped into his old house. She stood in the doorway with a blinding light behind her. His vision blurred as he realized she was about to leave.

"Amelia!" Alfred screamed her name with twisted emotions are he ran towards her.

He almost tripped over his own feet as she smiled at him. Her smiles were sudden and always surprised him. They were gentle yet dangerous enough to make his heart flutter.

Alfred embraced her and closed his eyes praying to never wake up from this dream.

Suddenly he felt a cold wind blow past both of them. He felt her skin turn cold and her breathing quicken.

It was as though this dream was becoming a bittersweet nightmare.

"Union, did you hate me?"
As soon as Alfred looked back at her he noticed the gray uniform she was wearing. He also realized that he was wearing a certain blue uniform and that this was all too familiar.

Her soft skin was suddenly branded with scars and her innocent eyes dulled with pain. Her long hair was cut short and lost its shine. Her eyes looked so lost as she stared into his.

"Union I'm sorry." She cried as blood painted her uniform. Her tears fell and mixed in a salty metallic scent that stained the air.

"No please don't!" He noticed the way she was slipping out of his arms.

The burn marks from Sherman's march to the sea twisted and joined her other scars as she gasped for air. She looked so scared as she tried to climb onto him for protection.

The injuries from their fight appeared and the crash of her already weak economy made her barely able to resist, yet she still did. She whimpered in pain as though being in contact with him were hurting her like fire.

She clung to him for help yet he was the one who was hurting her. That thick southern blood was strong, she was so strong. It was a beautiful tragedy their love for each other. The way they cherished one another was what hurt them the most.

"Confederacy!" Alfred screamed as he heard that fateful gunshot.

She fell limp in his arms.

His hands were stained with her warm southern blood and he noticed he was holding the gun. It was more of a twisted memory than a dream or nightmare at this point.

He sunk to his knees and cradled her in his lap. His arms were so strong yet he wasn't strong enough to save her.

"Please Confederacy.....my beautiful Amelia please no." His cries turned into screams as he begged her to stay with him.