6

2 weeks later...

Kenny

"Okay so maybe with this new app our numbers will go up for all of our artists. As I said before; we are here for everyone. No artist is anymore important or bigger than the next, that's not how we do business..." I said to my employees as we sat in the boardroom. Before I could speak again two men barged in.

"I'm sorry this is a closed meeting so-"

"Mr. Edmonds, you mind coming with us to the station? We have some questions for you." One of them interrupted showing me his badge. My employees looked at me.

"Actually I do mind. What is this about?"

"The fire at your apartment." He said.

"Leah, go over the rest of my notes. I'm sorry everyone please excuse me." I said trying to hide my anger and embarrassment. I walked out with the officers and went to my office. "Whatever questions you have, I can answer them here."

"Alright. How exactly did the fire start?"

"I wasn't there my ex-wife was the one living there. She told me it was a gas leak. Why?"

"Mr. Edmonds do you see this white spot right here?" He said showing me a picture. I nodded. "Well there is a special chemical used for cleaning scenes like this. It only turns white when there is evidence of human remains."

"So what are you saying?" I asked growing impatient.

"This is a picture of the kitchen area of the apartment. Now, Omar Wright was reported missing a week and a half ago. Do you know him?"

Omar Wright...I think that was Toni's thug boyfriend's name. The officer showed me the picture and it confirmed it.

"Yes, what does he have to do with this? Did he start the fire?"

"Quite the opposite. His DNA matched the remains found in the kitchen."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Toni

"Daddy I'm so sorry. I feel like I fail you. I wish was there when you left this world. I was out doing everything you told me not to and I wasn't there for you..." I trailed off as I started sobbing again. I sat the flowers on his headstone. "I love you so much."

I felt a hand on my shoulder. I stood up as Claire hugged me.

"He loved you too. I know he did. You can't keep beating yourself up girl." She said.

"But I wasn't there-"

"You didn't know. We all know that if you had, you would have been there."

"I just...feel so horrible."

"You're not. You need to stop stressing yourself out. Last thing you need is a gray hair or a wrinkle." She said making me laugh as we walked out of the cemetery arm in arm. We decided to go get something to eat.

After the waiter took our drink orders I noticed Claire looking down.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing." She said but I knew she was lying.

"Oh come on. Who hurt my little Claire-bear?" I asked earning an eye roll from her. She hates when I call her that but it's hilarious.

"It's just that I haven't spoken to my brother in two weeks. We never go this long without speaking after an argument."

"What was the argument about?" I asked and she stayed quiet. "Me? Claire-"

"No, the way he treats you is wrong. I understand the hurt he felt but it's too much and I don't like it at all."

"Hurt people hurt people."

"He's trying to punish you and that's not right. Especially if he's dating that high maintenance whore Valerie. You know the only reason he's with her is because she's a knockoff version of you. It's pitiful."

"I appreciate you sticking up for me but he's your brother. You're supposed to have his back before mine. Family first, remember?"

"You're my family too. You're the mother of my nieces and my nephew. Speaking of them, how's it going?"

"The girls and I are good. Kira's over the whole situation and Karsyn is just happy as always."

"And Trent?" She asked making me sigh. He doesn't even acknowledge my presence.

"He's a lot like his father."

"He'll come around soon."

"Let's hope so."

~~~

Karsyn and I were watching some princess movie when Kenny walked through the door.

"Karsyn go to your room." He said.

"But daddy the movie isn't over-"

"GO NOW!!"

Her eyes watered as she hopped off my lap and ran upstairs. I looked at Ken, "You didn't have to yell at her like that."

"We need to talk."

He forcefully grabbed my arm and pulled me into his office. When we got there he let go and I winced in pain while rubbing it. "Why did you-"

"What the hell did you do?" He asked in a calm yet angry tone. He kept walking towards me as I backed into to the wall.

"I don't know what you're talking abo-"

"DON'T PLAY WITH ME! You got the cops coming to my job embarrassing the hell outta me over a fire that happened under your watch. So again, what the hell did you do?"

"Nothing."

He hit the wall behind me, "TELL ME!!"

Kira ran in and stood between us, "Dad leave her alone!"

"Kira go back upstairs." He said.

"No!"

"No? Who the hell do you think you're talking to?"

"Kira sweetie everything is fine just go." I said trying to diffuse the situation.

"No I'm not leaving you with him. Why do you always have to treat her like this?!"

"Kira please just-"

"Why do you have to be such an asshole all the ti-" Before she could even get out her words, Kenny slapped her across the face. She held her face as everything went silent. "I hate you." She said before running out the door.

I went after her and Kenny stopped me. "This conversation isn't over." He said. I rolled my eyes and went to find Kira.

I'm back y'all (not completely flu free but almost😂)