11

A week later...

Kenny

"Ouch!! Damn!!" I said as the home nurse pushed my wheelchair over the threshold of my house. I have 2 broken ribs, a broken arm, and my legs don't work. I feel like maybe I should have just died in that crash.

"Sorry sir." He said pissing me off even more.

"Just get the hell out!"

He left as Val sighed look at me in pity. "Do you need anything honey?"

"No. I just wanna lay down."

"Okay...FIONA!! Come here sweetie."

"Yes?"

"Would you be a doll and help Kenny upstairs please?"

I looked at Valerie crazy. Fiona is a petite 65 year old woman. There's no way she's gonna be able to hold me. And if she could I wouldn't let her.

"Actually I'll do it myself." I declined.

"Honey, you can't do it by yoursel-"

"I SAID I CAN DO IT!"

"Dad, I'll help you." Trent said coming out of the kitchen. I groaned as he helped me out of my chair and put my arms around his shoulder. It's embarrassing not being able to do things on my own and having everyone treating me like a damn baby.

I winced in pain as we took the first two steps. "Come on Dad. I got you." He was practically carrying me because I can't walk.
We finally made it to my bedroom and he helped me get settled.

"Thanks son." I said as he adjusted my pillows for me.

"No problem. Just hurry up and get better so I can get back to dunking on you everyday." He chuckled. I hate that we won't get to do our father-son basketball games for a while.

"Son you've only dunked on me in your dreams."

"Knock, knock." Valerie said in the doorway. Trent excused us as she walked towards the bed. Placing her hand on my chest, "Honey I know this is hard for you, but just know that I'm here if you need anything. Don't worry, I know you're gonna be walking before our wedding comes. I'll make sure of it, I hired the best physical therapist in LA."

"Valerie I just got home. Can we talk about something other than a damn wedding?!" I ask frustratedly. I'm not even divorced yet and I can't even walk. A wedding is the farthest thing from my mind.

"I'm sorry I'm just excited. Is that a crime?" She said softly making me feel bad.

"No, I'm sorry. This is just so stressful."

"It's okay. Now I'm going to get mani-pedi's with Shelly, I'll see you later." She said before kissing my cheek and walking out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Toni
I walked into the house with Kira behind me. We just came from the grocery store. "Mr. Kenny is upstairs." Fiona informed us making Kira beam with excitement. She sat the groceries down and ran upstairs. I shook my head chuckling as I unpacked everything.

"Ms. Toni, you don't have to do that." Fiona said.

"I insist. Why don't you go take a load off, I can finish cleaning up everything."

She smiled, "Thank you."

I smiled back as I finished up the last of the groceries. I cleaned up what Fiona left behind which wasn't much. Afterwards I headed upstairs, I walked past Kenny's room making me remember the floral arrangement Iyanla sent.

I went downstairs to get it and back to his room. "Hey." I said in the doorway.

"What do you want?" He asked rudely.

"Okay...um Ms. Vanzant sent these. She said she felt bad that you got into the accident after leaving the meeting so upset." I showed him the arrangement before sitting it on the dresser.

"Well it's not her fault...it's yours."

I quickly turned around, "My fault?!"

"That's what I said."

"How the hell is this my fault?" I asked.

"I wouldn't have been so upset if you didn't piss me off."

"Okay Kenny. Being mad at me is one thing, but blaming me for this is overkill. I didn't force your ignorant ass to run the red light and I damn sure wasn't the one driving the 18-wheeler that hit you."

"Fuck you."

"Grow up." I said walking out and slamming the door behind me. I went into my room and closed the door. I was hoping things with Kenny would turn around. I thought this accident would change him but he's still just a cold hearted as he was before.