9

The next day...

Toni

"I just don't understand why we have to be here." Kira complained as we sat on the couch. We were all meeting with someone Claire knows. Kenny was running late so it was just me and the kids.

"Neither do I but Claire insisted." I said.

"Good afternoon. I'm Dr. Iyanla Vanzant, nice to meet you all." Iyanla said coming into the office.

"Great. A TV therapist." Kira said making me nudge her. "I mean, I'm Kira."

"I'm Toni, and this is Karsyn and Trent."

"I can introduce myself." Trent said making me take a breath. I swear I have to do a few Hail Mary's to keep from snatching his throat out.

"I'm Trent. Nice to meet you." He said.

"Okay. Who are we waiting on?"

"Daddy." Karsyn said.

"Well since I feel a bit of tension already, is it okay if we start without him?" She asked and we all nodded. "Great. First, I need my two princesses to wait outside."

Kira and Karsyn stood up and walked out leaving Trent and I alone with Iyanla.

"Now Mr. Trent, explain to me the issue with your mother. That little episode wasn't for nothing." She said to him.

"Well my mother, left us 3 years ago for a man she barely knew. The whole 3 years we didn't hear from her at all. We didn't know whether she was dead or alive." Trent stated with sadness in his eyes.

"What else?"

"I was up the night she left and she was wasted and mean. She broke my father's heart and left. She didn't even say goodbye."

"And how did that make you feel? I want about to hear your feelings, not anyone else's. But I want you to tell your mother not me."

Trent turned to me,"I felt like you abandoned me. We would tell each other everything and then you just left without saying a word. I felt like you didn't love me anymore."

"Ms. Toni?"

"Trent, I'm sorry for making you feel like that. I love you and your sisters more than anything, which is why I got myself together and came back. Nothing could ever fill that void of not being able to see you guys, hold you, tell you every night how much I love you and watch you grow. I'm sorry I wasn't around all that time but I'm here now and I'm trying to make up for it if you let me. I love you so much and I want to be the mother I was before all this mess happened." I said seeing a tear roll down his cheek. Embarrassed he quickly wiped it while keeping his head down. It broke my heart seeing him like that. "Can I do that?"

He nodded as I hugged him. Tears streamed down my face as I kissed his forehead. "I love you so much."

"I love you too mom."

Just as we sat down, Kenny came in stuffing his phone in his pocket. "You must be Kenny." Iyanla said shaking his hand.

"I am. I apologize for my tardiness, I had a meeting." He said nicely.