16

Toni

"But daddy you promised." I heard Karsyn whine to Ken as I walked upstairs. I don't know what she was upset about but she was giving him the business.

"I know baby girl but I'm sorry."

"That's not fair...I hate her, I hate her, I hate her!" She yell and I decided to the de-escalate the situation.

"What's going on? Why are you hating people?" I asked picking her up.

"She wants a Halloween party." Kenny says.

"I have one every year a couple days before Halloween. Everyone at school is looking forward to it."

"You're in not even in kindergarten yet." I said. How did she become such a socialite already?

"It's a big deal mommy. There will be kindergarteners there."

"Okay so why can't baby Gatsby have her Halloween party?" I ask Kenny.

"Because Valerie scheduled the engagement party this Saturday."

I cringed at the mention of that damn engagement party. I was gonna throw shade but Karsyn interrupted. "It's not fair! Mommy can you please fix this?"

"Okay, how about we move your party to Friday?" I suggest.

"Toni, that's 3 days away." Kenny says.

"Then you better make a decision quick."

"Please daddy? Pleeeaaaassse?" She begged.

He groaned, "Fine."

"Yay!! Come on mommy I have to go get my costume!!"

"Ok go put on your shoes."

She ran out of the door leaving us alone.

"How was the party?" Kenny asked out of the blue.

"More fun than I thought...why?"

"Well I've been stuck in this house for almost a month so the only entertainment I get is hearing about everyone else's fun times."

"That's sad...Do you wanna come with us?" I asked feeling bad.

"No, I don't wanna intrude..."

"Ok cool."

"Well since you're begging, I'll come along."

"I didn't beg-"

"Shh. Come on there are costumes to be bought." He says as I laugh.

*****

"Mommy I wanna be Moana." Karsyn announced as we walked into the store.

"Of course you do."

"What are you gonna be?" She asked me.

"I don't know."

Kenny put his hand up, "Here's an idea. How about I be Hugh Hefner and you can be-"

"Not gonna happen. This is a kids party Kenny." I chuckled.

"Whose Hugh?" Karsyn asked.

"The luckiest man to ever live." Her father replied making me shake my head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kira

I walked downstairs after hearing the doorbell ring. As soon as I opened the door, Valerie came in with at least 10 people following her.
"We're gonna set the open bar over there, the DJ over here, and replace the centerpiece with the one in that box." She said. She was giving directions left and right before I stopped her.