10

Toni

"What happened?!" I asked Claire as the kids and I came into the hospital waiting room.

"There was an accident. He ran a red light and got T-boned by an 18 wheeler." She said wiping her tears.

"Is he okay?"

"I don't know, they won't tell me anything."

I hugged her and before I could say anything the sound of heels rapidly clacking on the floor stopped me. I turned around and saw Valerie coming towards us.

"Oh my God, is he okay?"

"You called her?" Claire angrily asked her fiancé Myles.

"I wasn't supposed to?" He asked confused.

"We don't know Val." I finally answered.

"Mommy I'm hungry." Karsyn said.

"I'll take her to the vending machine." Trent said grabbing her hand. They walked down the hall as the rest of us took a seat. I sat by Kira who was in a daze.

"Kira..."

"Mom please tell me he's going to be okay." She started to cry as I pulled her into my arms.

"We can only pray that he is."

"He has to be, I know I said I hated him but I didn't mean it. What if he d-"

"Hey, don't think like that. Your father is very strong. He's survived so much and this is just another one of those things that he's going to get through."

"Family of Kenneth Edmonds?" A doctor said coming into the waiting room. We all stood up and moved towards him.

"Alright he's alive but in a coma right now. We are running tests to see what we can do. In the meantime, you all can go in one at a time."

Before we could blink, Valerie stomped her ignorant ass down the hall to his room.

"Please let me beat her ass." Claire begged.

"In front of all these witnesses?" I ask.

"Fuck it. I'll do the time..." she said going after her. I laughed as I pulled her back, "I don't have time to bail you out of jail. So, have a seat."

Valerie came out 30 minutes later and sat on the side opposite of us.

"Claire you go ahead." I said. She nodded and followed the doctor to Kenny's room as I sat back and comforted Kira.

~~~~

I walked into Kenny's room and sighed. He was laying there hooked up to so many machines I was confused on which one was breathing for him. I sat down in the chair next to his bed.

"I don't know if you can hear me or not but I'm kinda tired of losing people. First my dad, my friend Ira, I don't want you to be next. The kids need you here, Claire needs you, believe it or not so do I."

I paused as I blinked away my tears. The constant beeping from the machine filled the air as I searched for the right words to say.

"I know saying I'm sorry doesn't scratch the surface but I do apologize for the pain I put you through. If I could go back and change things I would but I can't. Just know that I'm sorry and...I love you...Even if you still hate me when you wake up, as long as you're alive and okay I'm fine with that."

I got up and went back into the waiting room. The doctor came right after me and we gathered around him once again.

"There's only one of two things we can do. We can do another surgery but there's an 85% chance he may lose mobility in his legs or we can leave him in the coma and wait until he wakes up. That could be days, weeks, months...it's up to the next of kin or the spouse." He said.

"I say we wait." Val said making me look at her crazy.

"And you are?" The doctor asked.

"I'm his girlfriend."

"BUT...she is still his wife." Claire said with her hands on my shoulders. She smirked at Valerie who was rolling her eyes. The doctor looked at me, "Well then it's your call." He said.

"What are the chances of him coming out of the coma?" I asked.

"We can't say, it's hard to tell but the longer he stays in it the harder it will be for him to recover."

"Do the surgery." I sighed.

"Yes ma'am." He said before walking away.

"Are you crazy? He's not going to be able to walk!" Valerie snapped.

"Haven't you ever heard of physical therapy? If we wait and he never wakes up then what? I rather him be alive in a wheelchair than dead!"

"Is this your way of getting back at him for being with me? Haven't you put him through enough?!"

"Bitch..." I said charging at her but Claire stopped me before my hand could reach her face. "Toni, don't. The kids are here...let me do it." She said charging at her before getting picked up by Myles.

"We're gonna head out. We'll take Karsyn with us if you want." He said.

"Yeah that's fine. Thanks."

"Just let me get one hit." Claire begged as I chuckled.

"No woman. See you later Toni."

I waved as they left down the hall with Karsyn in tow. "Aunt Claire is crazy." Trent said coming up behind me.

"You have no idea."

"Is dad gonna be okay?"

"I hope so."